This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

The Jackson Hole valley, located on the western edge of Wyoming, encapsulates the energy of the wild wild west. Most commonly known for its incredible skiing, Jackson Hole is home to the legendary ski resorts, Jackson Hole Mountain Resort, Snow King Mountain, and Grand Targhee Resort. Although Jackson Hole fosters some of the most outstanding ski resorts, there are many other ways to adventure and relax for the non-skiers. 

Each season in Wyoming offers different adventures and opportunities to its visitors. Since Jackson is known for its skiing, winter is usually the peak season for tourism which means crowded restaurants and bars, lines to get into the parks, and an overwhelming spike in travel fares. However, if skiing isn’t your thing, I recommend visiting in Autumn when you can see the astounding wildlife migrations and Aspen trees radiating their luscious foliage. 

My first visit to Jackson Hole was in October of 2021. My dad and I are on a continual mission to visit all sixty three U.S. National Parks. With Jackson located just minutes from the entrance to Grand Teton National Park and about one hour by car to reach the entrance of Yellowstone National Park, we knew this was the perfect place to stay to knock out two parks in one trip.

Grand Teton National Park is filled with remarkable sights and over two hundred fifty miles of trails, ranging from leisurely strolls to strenuous climbs, not to mention the immense variety of wildlife that inhabits the park. At the base of the Teton Mountain Range, Jenny Lake is an absolute must-see if you are in the area. From hiking trails to boat rides, Jenny Lake is the perfect spot to explore the Grand Tetons.

Another one of our favorite spots in Grand Teton National Park is the Cascade Canyon Trail, located just east of Jenny Lake. This 9.1-mile trail is a bit challenging; however, the views will make the arduous hike absolutely worth it.

Once you’ve explored your way through Grand Teton National Park and are ready for some new views, I highly recommend taking the trip up to the South Entrance to Yellowstone National Park, located about 50 miles north of Jackson. Yellowstone was the country’s first national park. Established in 1872, it spans 3,500 square miles through Wyoming and parts of Idaho and Montana; this park is imperceptibly beautiful. 

One of the most breathtaking views we experienced in Yellowstone was the Grand Prismatic hot springs. Wyoming is home to over one hundred hot springs, most of which are within Yellowstone. Grand Prismatic Spring is one of the most photographed attributes in the entire park, with its rainbow colors that make it seem otherworldly.

Another Yellowstone attraction that you won’t want to miss out on is Old Faithful. Old Faithful is the world’s most famous geyser, which erupts about twenty times daily, and its eruptions can reach up to one hundred eighty feet! After watching this iconic natural presentation, multiple trailheads begin at the Old Faithful viewing area. My favorite trail in that area was the Upper Geyser Basin Trail. This 2.1-mile trail walks you through a plethora of hot springs, active geysers, and views of wildlife. (Keep an eye out for bison!)

If you’re ready to spend some time indoors after a long day of hiking, check out the National Museum of Wildlife Art, located right outside Jackson’s town square. This museum showcases art focused on the beauty of wildlife in Wyoming, featuring works by multiple iconic artists such as Andy Warhol and Georgia O’Keeffe.

When you’ve had enough of hiking the mountains and exploring museums, Jackson’s Town Square offers many other great ways to keep you entertained. Home to the famous Million Dollar Cowboy Bar, Jackson’s Town Square is the perfect place for a midday stroll or a night out on the town. From shopping boutiques to the Jackson Hole Shootout, this town has everything you need to experience the essence of Wyoming.

The Million Dollar Cowboy Bar is by far my top recommendation to anyone visiting Jackson. Established in 1937, this western-themed venue hosts live music every night and is the perfect place to show off your line dancing skills. However, the most notable feature of this establishment is that the barstools are made from authentic horse saddles!

Another one of my top recommendations for food and drinks in town would be the Roadhouse Tap Room. The Roadhouse Tap Room has a chill atmosphere with a full production brewhouse that customers can observe while eating Bison Burgers and Elk Cheesesteaks. Their in-house brewed beers are out of this world; I recommend getting a flight so you can try a bunch.

I could go on and on about all the different things to do and see in Jackson, Wyoming, but I would be sitting here typing for months. So if your soul is yearning for some western vibes, make sure Jackson is at the top of your travel bucket list! It’s only been a year since I returned from my trip, and I’m already planning my next trip out there!

Abigail Hentze

Stony Brook '23

Mass Communication student in the School of Journalism at Stony Brook University