This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

Homecoming is right around the corner, which means a lot of tailgating will happen! As someone who has been attending homecoming and tailgates since I can remember, I thought it would be a great idea to share my tailgating tips.

Sometimes people split up responsibilities for tailgating. If you are in charge of drinks, that also means you are in charge of keeping them cool. But let’s face it, no one has any use for a gigantic cooler in their dorm unless you’re training for the long jump. However, you don’t need a big bulky cooler. I came across Corkcircle Chillpod Go– It is 15.5×10.75×11.5, holds 13 quarts, and is flat on all sides. It holds a decent amount of drinks, food, and ice. When a few friends and I use it, we always have more than enough space for drinks and food. A feature that stood out to me is that it comes with a carrying strap. ($199.95)

Bring your own reusable drink wear that has a top with you. I do this all the time. I’ve Lately been using Hydrojug’s Traveler daily. While the Traveler is currently sold out, they do have Timetracker. At the time of publication $19.99, Timetracker has almost all the same features, the only difference is that Traveler keeps liquid cold. However, Timetracker has a lid, and a slip straw, and is leakproof, which is a huge plus for me. Not only can reusable containers make it easy for you to know which drink is yours if you set it down, the top ensures that no bugs or anything else get in your drink.

Bring silverware and napkins with you. Don’t assume someone else will bring them or bring enough. If you’re not into plastic utensils, Target has some great reusable ones that are one to two dollars; such as this set- 3 forks for a buck.

Bring a sweatshirt and/or rain poncho. While a chance of rain can usually be predicted ahead of time, sometimes the rain can be worse than you think. A sweatshirt can be helpful for similar reasons. The weather has been hot and cold, especially at night, so while it may be warm when the tailgate starts, you may end up being cold towards the end and during the game. If you don’t need it, just tie it around your waist. You can even fold it up to sit on as those bleachers can be uncomfortable. While there are bleacher cushions out there using your sweatshirt avoids having to lug around an extra item.

Make sure you bring hand sanitizer, remember there’s no sink. Tailgate food can be messy; not to mention it’s flu season and who wants to get sick right before midterms? Not me. Target has a variety of hand sanitizers available at various prices that can fit your budget.

Don’t forget sunscreen! I can’t stress this enough. You’re outside for a long stretch of time under the sun. Despite how cool the weather may be, you can still get a sunburn. If you are looking for makeup that has sunscreen in it, check out Rare Beauty’s Positive Light Tinted Moisturizer Broad Spectrum SPF 20 Sunscreen ($30). It comes in more than 20 shades and gives a nice coverage. It is very lightweight and makes you feel like you’re not wearing a thing. Face Haus’ The Protector is SPF 30 and is a non-nano zinc oxide sunscreen ($35). Supergoop! has a variety of sunscreens including Supergoop! Play Antioxidant Body Mist SPF 50 with Vitamin C. ($15-$42) This product stood out to me as it’s easy to apply with less mess on your hands.

I hope you found these tailgating tips helpful!

I love writing about beauty, entertainment, fashion and accessories and more. I love musicals, singing, movies and all things beauty including hair! I've acted in movies, sung opera and won pageants. I also write fiction and many of my stories have been featured in anthologies.