CPL Sections MAKEUP?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
CPL Sections MAKEUP?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Her Campus Media Design Team
Style > Beauty

Stepping Out Of Your Makeup Comfort Zone This Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

As we soon start to transition our way into the warmer weather, this is the perfect opportunity to step out of your comfort zone to try new makeup looks and products. I understand it could be overwhelming to start, between all the different trends, brands, and styles, but don’t worry everyone! I got you covered!

Where are my blush lovers at? Achieving that sun-kissed look may feel difficult when you don’t have those rays hitting your skin like you would in the summer. Luckily, though, Charlotte Tilbury has released the new Matte Beauty Blush Wand. Available in four colors, Peach Pop, Pink Pop, Dream Pop, and the exclusive shade Pillow Talk in honor of one of their most famous collections ($42). These alone are so beautiful but can easily be paired with their corresponding Charlotte Tilbury Hollywood Contour Wands in either shade light to medium or medium to deep ($42). This contour and blush duo will have you bronzed and sun-kissed, even in the spring. 

If you’re anything like me, you’re obsessed with the Glossier Balm Dotcom ($14). The packaging, the scents, the tints, absolute chefs kiss. If you’re not obsessed, get on the wave. Now is the perfect time to try these if you haven’t already because of the update the brand has made to the packaging and formula! Instead of the old squeezy top, the now easy glide-on top ensures no getting your fingers dirty and is an easy application. This product is vegan and cruelty-free and will leave your lips moisturized and luscious. Go for the Original, Mint, or Coconut flavor for a clear balm, and flavors such as Wild Fig, Mango, Lavender, etc. for a tint corresponding to their name. Jump into this spring with both an on-trend and perfect lip balm! It’s so easy to throw in your bag, keep at your makeup desk, or even give as a gift! 

One of my personal favorites when it comes to a unique makeup look is colored eyeliner. It’s such a simple but effective way to flatter your eye shape and color all in one. If you’ve seen the “Doe Eyes” vs. “Siren Eyes”, this is also achieved with different liners. Doe eyes, which are said to represent innocence and brightness, can be achieved by adding some white eyeliner to your waterline. My personal favorite is the NYX Jumbo Eye Pencil in the shade Milk ($5.50). This adds an instant pop to your eyes. On the contrary, using black or other deep colors in your waterline could create the Siren eyes effect. These are said to show mystery and have a dramatic look to them. One of my favorite liners to achieve this look is the Sephora Ultimate Gel Waterproof Eyeliner Pencil in the shade Matte Black ($13). Aside from this, we have the colors. I’m talking purple, green, blue, pink, you name it. You can find which colors will compliment your eye color and I think it’s such a unique way to make your eyes pop! My favorite ones are from NYX, being the Retractable Eye Liners ($6.50). 

Personally, I’ll be trying out all the new trends this upcoming season. I love stepping out of my comfort zone and trying new things, and makeup is such a fun way to do that! Who’s with me? Spring 2023, here we come! 

Gianna Perani

Stony Brook '25

Gianna, or "G" to her friends, is a sophomore at Stony Brook University majoring in both Journalism and Psychology. Along with writing being one of her passions, she grew up always wanting to learn and educate. Music is no stranger to Gianna, when Gianna isn't writing, you can find her dancing, singing, and getting involved with all things related. When she isn't writing or dancing, you can find her updating herself on all the latest fashion and beauty news. She loves coffee, cats, and is always down for a good conversation!