This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

Staller Steps is one of the most celebrated hang-out spots year-round at Stony Brook University. The best days you can find activity on the grass and concrete steps are inching closer for Stony Brook students. 

The last month of the spring semester is the most exciting yet stressful time for students. Assignment after assignment piling up, but the minute the sun starts shining, and it’s above 55 degrees- the steps are lively. 

Across from the Staller Center for the Arts, you will find skaters, musicians, and the blissful rays beaming down on the students. Everyone in their friend groups takes up every inch of the steps. 

It doesn’t take the students away from their studies either. You will always see laptops out since the steps have a mixture of fun while also getting work done. Sometimes we need to take a step out of the stuffy buildings in exchange for the warm weather.

On the days when students aren’t worrying about academics, the steps are even more animated. Not a backpack is in sight as some will sunbathe or chat with friends during their free time at Staller.

One of my favorite things that I attended last spring was The Bash. Created by the on-campus radio station WUSB Stony Brook, they brought together a festival of talented artists during a beautiful day at Staller Steps.

Staller Steps is a convenient spot where tons of students can gather under the blue sky and relax during their busy schedules. To me, spending time at Staller Steps always makes Stony Brook feel more like home. 

Although this isn’t a hidden gem of the campus, I have yet to find another spot that feels the same way. After all this dreadful weather of cold temperatures, there is nowhere else I’d rather be than the warm grass under me. 

Some of my favorite moments from college so far have been with my friends at Staller Steps in the blazing heat that foreshadows summer break. In contrast, at night, when the steps are empty with the dark sky, meaningful moments are shared.

My biggest tip is don’t be afraid to go there alone. I’ve gone there numerous times and I sometimes end up with a new friend or I was able to get tons of work done. 

As the weather starts to change, take a walk over to Staller Steps. If you get any great photos or videos, tag @hcstonybrook. Happy springtime Seawolves!

Melanie Karniewich

Stony Brook '25

Melanie Karniewich is the Vice President of Her Campus Stony Brook and a junior Journalism major with a minor in Film and Screen Studies at Stony Brook University. You can always find her reading rom-com novels, watching mystery movies, and of course writing.