This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

It’s hard to find time to go to the gym, especially when we have so many other things to worry about like keeping up with course work. Even though we all might have valid excuses to skip the gym, it’s not something we should be putting off. Working out and making the active effort to exercise is good for us. Here are some reasons to stop avoiding the rec center and start using it towards our advantage.

1. Working out can be a huge stress reliever.

There’s been research that shows how your body increases endorphin production during physical activity. This hormone is known for being the body’s natural painkiller and mood elevator. So, hitting the gym is a productive way to get your mind in the right headspace and reduce stress levels.

2. It’s a healthy alternative when you have nothing else to do.

I know everybody, including myself, would prefer staying in and lying in bed rather than making the trip to the rec center, but we would just be wasting our day away. Working out is a good way to wake yourself up and keep your energy up throughout the day.

3. Working out with a gym buddy is fun.

Having someone to motivate and support you while working out makes exercising bearable and even fun. The time always passes by faster when you have a friend with you. You guys can catch up and exercise at the same time.

4. You get to see your progress over time.

Working out is rewarding because you get see the hard work you put in pay off in the end if you stick to it. Although it may take a while to see a difference, it’s good to know that you made the effort to start going to the gym and are committed enough to keep going.  

5. Going to the gym helps build motivation.

They gym might seem pretty intimidating, but seeing everyone else working out is good source of motivation. If the person next to you can do it, you can do it, too. It’s important to have a positive outlook and good energy if you want to see progress.

Overall, finding time to go the gym with a full schedule can be difficult. We are all busy people, but exercising can only benefit us. It’s a way to clear our minds and be consistent with ourselves. So, maybe it’s time to finally hit the gym.

Gifs courtesy of giphy.com

Junior Health Science Major