Need Some New Song Recommendations? Try This Quarantine Playlist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

Starting to lose motivation for those online assignments when the comfort of your couch is just two to three steps away? Getting fed up by your family members and looking for an escape? Here are my top five songs to help make that well-deserved alone time worthwhile and get you ready to tackle that to-do list!

Old Fashioned by Bruno Major

This track combines Major’s famous guitar acoustics with a steady bass beat to create the ultimate chill-out smooth jazz vibe. His delicate yet charming vocals make this somewhat cliche serenade the perfect fit for its song title.

Affluenza by Conan Gray

Similar to Major in his simple instrumentation, Gray skillfully blends the words “affluent” and “influenza” to take a not-so-subtle stab at the wealthy. It’ll be quite the challenge to stop yourself from singing along to these humorous lyrics hidden with a sense of playful cynicism.

Dear Patience by Niall Horan

While I haven’t followed much of Niall’s solo career, aside from “On the Loose” and other radio hits, I decided to give his 2020 album a chance. And this because of the light of pure magic, his fellow 1-Directioner, Harry Styles, delivered through Fine Line. And indeed, I was delightfully surprised by “Dear Patience.” Horan successfully dazzles the listener with multiple different layers of instrumentation. As he begins with the unembellished plucked-guitar, adding in some drums by the second verse, only to end with an unexpected yet beautiful fiddle solo—all accompanied by powerful vocals.

Julia by Lauv

This raw and emotional ballad, thought to be about singer Julia Michaels, uses just the right amount of piano accompaniment to showcase Lauv’s falsetto skills. While it’s not necessarily a standout, it’s definitely worth a listen for the heavy lyrics.

Young & Alive by Bazzi

Bazzi’s light-hearted track takes full advantage of our love for nostalgia, bringing us back to the good old days of bike riding with friends and high school football games. This song is such a catchy and relatable tune that’s likely to stick in your head. 

I hope some of these tracks help break up the monotony of the quarantine experience! After all, what better way to cope than music.

Bio major at SBU Aspiring world traveler (Prague is a personal favorite) Pro ice cream eater (a pint of vanilla and you’ve won me over!)
Cece Cruz

Stony Brook '21

President/Editor-in-Chief here at the Her Campus Stony Brook Chapter! I joined Her Campus in Spring 2018 as a Junior Writer and I am currently majoring in Journalism with a minor in Political Science. My personality is somewhere between Rachel Green and Phoebe Buffay. I call that balance. In my free time you can find me doing... I'm a college student, if I appear to have any free time I'm probably procrastinating.