Life > Academics

My Top 5 Study Tips for Spring Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

New semester = new struggles. Juggling classes and assignments are hard enough, but no one ever talks about how hard studying itself is. Gaining the motivation to get up and study is one hassle, but that’s not all. Then you have to organize all of your class notes and scope the class’s resource’s for additional info you might need. Once you gather everything and begin studying, you still have to manage not to get distracted and stay focused. This has always been a hassle for me and I know it’s a hassle for many other college students as well. That’s why I’m going to share with you some great tips that have helped me study for some of my most demanding classes this semester.

1. Brown noise

Brown noise is my newest study technique that I’ve discovered. Brown noise is a muffled, constant noise that is loud enough to drown out all extraneous noises around you when played through headphones. I also notice that it helps to drown out my distracting thoughts while I’m studying. Alternatively, you can opt to listen to white noise instead which is slightly similar. A lot of people choose to listen to lo-fi music or classical music, but I personally enjoy straight brown noise.

2. Aesthetic Notes

Nothing motivates me more than knowing that my study notes are going to be super aesthetic and pretty to look at. Based on what class and topics I’m studying, I browse Pinterest for aesthetic notes for that specific class to gain inspiration. For my Microbiology class, for example, I would search “aesthetic microbiology iPad notes.” I use the GoodNotes app on my iPad to take notes, so I just follow a cute study template that I like and attempt to create my own stidy guide with it.

3. Working at the library

Absolute. academic. weapon. Working at the library has significantly improved my productivity. I can’t seem to remain focused at home because I’m always distracted by my family and always find other things to take care of in my room. In my dorm room, I always get distracted by noise or sit on my bed and begin to scroll on TikTok. However, being in the library around other people who are also doing their work urges me to do the same. I highly recommend studying and completing work in an environment that is separate from the place that you relax and sleep so your mind won’t associate the two with each other.

4. Take breaks

Working for hours straight is not productive because your brain will slowly become fried and overwhelmed with information. You will find it hard to retain anything if you don’t pace yourself and give your mind some rest. I personally like to take short 5-7 minute breaks every 20 minutes. My mind gets overwhelmed very easily and very quickly so I need to let loose often. If you don’t incorporate breaks into your studying routine, your brain will take those breaks anyways and slack on memorization and retention! Keep some snacks and water nearby to stay fueled up during those much-needed breaks.

5. Review Multiple times

Although this might sound tedious, it’s a foolproof study method that has never failed me. Constantly reviewing the same thing over and over helps your brain significantly. It helps to soak in the information since you are being exposed to it repetitively. Even if you think you don’t understand a topic fully, simply looking at it and reading over it a few times will help you grasp a little something. Remember, your brain remembers more than you think. Simply relooking at your study guide or practice questions and going through the reasoning in your head will help you to expose yourself to the information once again.

Studying is not easy for anyone, but it’s definitely not impossible. The more you do it and the more you experiment with tactics that work for you, the more bearable it gets! I hope these tips help you out this semester, and remember, don’t give up!

Ria Roy

Stony Brook '24

Ria Roy is a senior at Stony Brook University pursuing a Health Science degree on the pre-med track. She enjoys dancing, posting on social media, journaling, writing poetry, and listening to music in her free time. Follow her on Instagram at @riaroyyy