Let’s Put Thanks Back Into Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

It’s November, it seems like it was just Halloweekend, and now I’m already hearing Christmas music. There tends to be a disturbing trend in America where when the clock strikes 12 on November 1st, people and stores are automatically prepared for Christmas. Last time I checked there is a holiday that falls somewhere between Halloween and Christmas… Let me think…Oh yeah, it’s Thanksgiving.

Every year the excitement of costumes of Halloween and the gifts of Christmas overshadow Thanksgiving. Don’t get me wrong, I’m just as excited about these holidays as the next person, but before I go to make a list of things I want for Christmas, I remember to look around and realize what I am thankful for.

Thanksgiving is a great holiday for more reasons than one. Let’s start with the food. There is no shame in eating everything in sight. Mashed potatoes, cranberries, stuffing, and turkey all at once; I am not sure of any other day of the year that this is socially acceptable. But that’s just the first part, because then dessert comes out. Pumpkin, apple, pecan pie are just a few of the many stereotypical dishes that come out just for Thanksgiving. They’re festive and fun, and let’s be honest there’s no judgment for eating the entire pie.

The only thing better than Thanksgiving dinner is the leftovers. Every year a majority of families over prepare for this holiday, which means that your Thanksgiving feast gets to continue past the actual holiday. Thanksgiving leftovers can be converted into different meals and dishes for a long time after the holiday. You feel like eating a Sandwich? Boom. Turkey Sandwich. You want a salad? Why not toss some turkey and cranberries into your salad? Due to the diversity of food prepared for thanksgiving, there will always be a leftovers for whatever you’re craving that day.

And what’s not to love about giant-sized Scooby Doo, Snoopy, and SpongeBob inflatables making their way down the streets of New York City? As far as tradition goes, the Macy’s day parade has been going on since 1924. For over 75 years, Macy’s Department store has sponsored a parade through the streets of New York, with many live performances from local high schools as well as famous performers. Even if you have no way of getting to the city to watch the spectacular balloons and performances, don’t worry because the parade is broadcasted live on many major news channels.

Just when the parade ends and you think there is nothing left to watch, just remember football is on all afternoon. There’s nothing like huddling in one room yelling at a television with your family, whether you are actually interested in football or not.

Thanksgiving is a day set aside solely to spending time with friends, relatives and of course eating enormous amounts of food. Let’s face it, life gets busy and people get flaky. Thanksgiving offers a day where there’s no reason to be anywhere else or doing anything else besides spending time with loved ones.

Thanksgiving is about finding things in your life to be thankful for and taking time to reflect and appreciate them. Before you make the transition from ’13 Nights of Halloween’ to ‘25 Days of Christmas,’ make sure you take time to appreciate the things you have instead of always seeking something better. In reality, I know all of us have a lot to be thankful for. 

- -

Stony Brook

Her Campus Stony Brook Founder and Campus Correspondent Stony Brook University Senior Minnesotan turned New Yorker English Major, Journalism Minor