Jupiter Retrograde is the Saving Grace You’ve Been Looking For

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

Retrogrades get a bad reputation for all the chaos they cause in our daily lives. The Jupiter Retrograde in particular might just be the kind of change you’ve been looking for.

If you’re not into the stars, planets, and moon phases- then you probably didn’t know that Jupiter Retrograde started this past September 4th and goes until December 30th. In astrology, retrogrades are usually the big mess that spirals in to screw with communication skills along with conflicts rising to the surface. However, Jupiter Retrograde is actually a good cycle and with the right mindset, you could change your life for the better.

From the scientific standpoint, this is when a planet or the apparent changes movement in the sky, but in reality this is just an illusion- planets don’t move backwards. This is the time when all the energies that were previously blocked in your life make their comebacks, so try to steer away from exes or old issues.

Now what makes Jupiter Retrograde a more positive influence on your life is because the planet represents luck, good fortunes, and abundant success. With the start of the semester well underway, I’m sure many of us are looking for some good luck to carry us through. 

Jupiter is currently in the sign of Taurus, which means wherever that is in your chart will play a significant role. If you would like to know more about your birth chart, I suggest using Cafe Astrology and select ‘How to Obtain My Natal Chart’ on the homepage.

If you don’t have Taurus in a major placement, you should still be using this time to expand your life. Think about your boundaries, those close to you in your life, and watch out for those red flags. 

Retrogrades have a mixture of the good and bad. One minute you could be arguing with your best friend and in the next you get an email about a new job opportunity. Just take each one as they come and learn to let some things go. 

The biggest recommendation is to think before you do anything and if you feel it’s right, just go for it. Let the new changes come into your life and believe that you’re creating the life you deserve. 

For all those anti-astrology folks out there, this may all seem like a hoax. To those who follow the stars, I hope you have a life-changing retrograde.  

Melanie Karniewich

Stony Brook '25

Melanie Karniewich is the Vice President of Her Campus Stony Brook and a junior Journalism major with a minor in Film and Screen Studies at Stony Brook University. You can always find her reading rom-com novels, watching mystery movies, and of course writing.