This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

Being back home for Winter Break made me realize how exciting New York City is. Making plans with old friends was and is never an issue because of the endless activities and places to go in NYC. Whether you want to have a crazy night out or a chill hang out, NYC is the place for it. I could honestly go on and on about why I love my city. Here are just a few reasons.

1. You can get anywhere and everywhere quickly.

Even though the subway can be extremely annoying sometimes, it is the core of NYC. The train lines connect all five boroughs and makes it easy to travel. It may seem difficult to understand if you’re new to the city, but once you get the hang of it the subway becomes a way of life. Going to school on Long Island makes me even more grateful for such an accessible travel system since the only train available here is the LIRR. It’s a hassle to get off campus!

2. There is always unexpected entertainment on the train.

There hasn’t been a time where I’ve ridden the subway and not encountered some sort of performance. The most common shows I see are singers and dancers, but there are also comedy bits and art pieces. People in NYC are very open about their talents and are urgent to become famous. There are also people who do it for some fast cash. I can’t blame them, but it always nice to see people trying to make their dreams come true. If you see someone performing on the subway, give them some recognition.​

3. You can get food from basically anywhere. ​

Usually, when I make plans with a friend in the city, they revolve around food places that we’ve been dying to try. My personal favorite places are sushi bars and there are thousands across Manhattan. This also goes for any other type of food like Mexican or Thai. Whatever you’re in the mood for, you can find almost anywhere.

4. There are so many things to do. I’ve lived in New York all my life and am still able to find new things to do on the weekends. It can be overwhelming with all the stuff you can do here. From shopping to taking a walk in the park, there’s a huge area to cover in NYC. There are annual pop-up shops and farmer’s markets that keeps things interesting as well. Museums are definitely a must! They can peak anyone’s interest with cool light displays and interesting art pieces.

5. New Yorkers are ruthless.

New Yorkers are infamous for being mean and rude, but it’s only when we need to be. Being a New Yorker means that we hold our own and don’t take stuff we don’t deserve. We are confident and are always repping where we’re from. Even though we might seem intimidating, most of us are willing to help someone out and lend a hand.

I am grateful to be living in a city where there is so much culture and awareness. I can learn something new from all the places I travel and people I meet from the city. Growing up in NYC has made me more independent and tough. In some way, my random interactions with people on the subway and navigation through the city have shaped my personality. There’s no way I would prefer to live in any other city. 

Gifs courtesy of Giphy

Junior Health Science Major
Her Campus Stony Brook Founder and Campus Correspondent Stony Brook University Senior Minnesotan turned New Yorker English Major, Journalism Minor