How to Use the Sims for Writer’s Block

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

Yup, you’ve guessed it. I mean the Sims as in the video game where we have this urge to delete the pool ladder or get frustrated whenever our character dies of starvation from not being able to move the plate that’s in front of the fridge. Aside from all the shenanigans and awesome gameplay that the Sims have to offer the world; the game has another great purpose.

They help with writer’s block!

To all my novelists, screenwriters, poets, everyone who enjoys writing; check this out. Even if you don’t play video games, this could help you when you’re stuck on what to do for the next few pages or scene you need to think of. Sims is a wonderful game to build houses, rooms, public places and create the characters you write about. For a creative writing assignment, I had to submit it in less than a week so I was freaking out, I had no idea what other scenes I could add in until I thought, ‘If I don’t have real people around me, what’s better than to use virtual characters that I can create and place in different worlds?’

Bingo.

I took out my Sims game, started playing on my laptop and began storytelling while also taking screenshots to have with me when I begin to write down what visions I have. In the end, it did pay off once I read the comment that my professor wrote saying he enjoyed reading my script. Sims basically saved my GPA when I landed that A+. All hail the Sims.

This game has a large community and majority of them create content for the game that you can download to make your gameplay and storytelling much better. If you want certain objects, outfits, cars, hair, pets, makeup (there is way too much custom content to type out here, it would take up two pages by itself already) then I suggest checking out what the community has to offer. The best thing to use when story telling is Pose Player which will help you out. If you want your character making a facial expression, sitting somewhere or laying in their bed lazily like we do on Saturdays, then Pose Player will be your best friend. Some YouTubers also have Sims series where they make episodes with their characters. It’s great to see what others can do!

Honestly, it’s worth a shot to check out this game, not just because the small gamer in me is in love with the franchise, but the writer in me could also use the help from seeing my visions on the screen in the form of these small pixilated people. Also, don’t be afraid to ask the community for help! The first time setting things up will be a little rough if you are new to the game and idea, but don’t worry! There are tons of people that can show you all that you need to know about the sims, myself included!

Happy Simming and cheers to fewer states of writer’s block!

(Disclaimer: All screenshots are my own, but the nice objects, clothing, hair, etc. belong to the Sims custom content creators and all credit belong to them for making great things we can all use.)

Julitza Zapata

Stony Brook '18

Julitza is one comic book loving, video game fanatic and makeup enthusiast that's willing to share her stories/experiences and favorite things with everyone. Currently in her final year at Stony Brook she's excited to see where the future will take her and what's in store.
Her Campus Stony Brook Founder and Campus Correspondent Stony Brook University Senior Minnesotan turned New Yorker English Major, Journalism Minor