Wellness

How to Make the Most Out of Your Shower

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

With all the stress going on in people’s lives, self-care should be a priority in everyone’s life. Showering is one of the only times where you get to yourself. You take care of your body and mind and cleanse your worries away. It’s a place where you replenish yourself and leave feeling better than when you entered. This is a time that you should invest in. Let me tell you how you can make the most of your shower time:

Invest in good-smelling shower products

Who doesn’t like the smell of daisies and peaches filling up the hot air while you’re cleaning your body? Making sure that you have good smells flowing through your bathroom will make your shower experience much more enjoyable. It’ll also leave your skin smelling great for the rest of the day. You can opt for fruity and fun scents, sweet and strong scents, and many more! I personally think using more relaxing scents such as lavender during nighttime showers tends to relax my body and prepare me for a good night’s sleep.

Bring your speaker in the shower

Everything is better with music. You could be performing at your own concert in the shower complete with amazing bathroom acoustics. Wind down at the end of the day with some mellow tunes in the bath, or crank up the hype music to prepare you for your day during your morning shower.

Find fun products for bathtime

Buy bath products such as bath bombs and bath salts to spice up your bath time and make it more enjoyable! Watching the colors and sparkles spread throughout the water and watching bath salts fizzle around is always fun to do once in a while.

Focus on hair care

Making sure to take care of your hair as well as your body is so important. Make sure to take the time to gently brush through your hair in the shower and get all of the knots and tangles out. Lather it with soap and shampoo and rinse it out under the warm water. Don’t forget to use conditioner at the end to ensure that you’ll walk out with soft and shiny hair. If you are choosing not to wash your hair that specific day, make sure to protect it using a shower cap so that your hair remains dry throughout your shower.

Whenever you do choose to shower, it should be a delightful experience. You should be able to fully invest that time in yourself and make it feel pleasurable. It should not feel like a chore. I hope this gave you plenty of new ideas of how to make your shower more enjoyable!

Ria Roy

Stony Brook '24

Ria Roy is a senior at Stony Brook University pursuing a Health Science degree on the pre-med track. She enjoys dancing, posting on social media, journaling, writing poetry, and listening to music in her free time. Follow her on Instagram at @riaroyyy