This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

The holidays come with tons of gift giving, and whether its for a Secret Santa or gifting for you best friend or partner, sometimes it’s hard. Gift baskets are a fun way to add a bunch of fun to one gift. If you want to make the fun last longer, wrap each item in tissue paper or wrapping paper and turn one gift basket into an advent calendar.

Start with finding your theme, themed baskets always get bonus points. During the winter I love to lean into a purely holiday joy theme so this how-to will focus on building the perfect holiday basket. Adding self care and elevated items reminder who every you are spoiling that they deserve peace and that they are important to you.

Start with the basket, the most important part of a gift basket. Obviously we are going with a red, green or white basket, this one from Target is a knit red material and adds so many cozy vibes. Add a layer of tissue paper to the bottom. You could also use a pink basket and make it a pinkmas themed basket. 

Add something cozy. It’s winter so we are looking to inspire coziness and comfort in the basket. This fa la la blanket from target is perfect for cheerful cuddling. 

Then add a mug. Cause it’s the holiday season and that means holiday drinks. The mug should match the basket theme, I love this classic red mug from Target for a holiday basket.  

And all of the coffee accessories to go with the mug. For the holiday season Starbucks coffee is the go to, especially with yummy flavors like Gingerbread or Peppermint Mocha. For caffeine lovers add more coffee accessories like flavored syrups and sauces. For cozy drink lovers add a set of hot cocoa bombs, these pretty ones are from Target and fancy marshmallows. I adore Theo chocolate and their fun marshmallows, made with fair trade chocolate of course, they have yummy flavors like peppermint dark chocolate and vanilla.

For book lovers add a fun holiday novel like You’re a Mean One Matthew Price, a novel following the LGBT+ romance of spoiled Matthew Prince who finds romance in a winter wonderland after getting cut off. For movie lovers add a copy of their favorite holiday movie, or an Amazon gift card to buy a new one. Grab that cute blanket and cuddle up.

Now, it’s time for some self care items. Obviously, this the perfect moment to add some face masks. This mud mask from Que Bella is a hot cocoa themed mask. These fun hand masks smell like gingerbread for Christmas vibes and are sure to soothe winter skin. Then add, this candy cane lip mask. And because this whole basket can’t be red, add these adorable green eye patches from Patchology.

Your bestie deserves to feel cute all the time so add a new beanie and a fun nail polish, always a fun red or sparkle, for some holiday flair. Then add a custom snowflake bracelet from Little Words Project, with their name or a custom phrase thats special to your friendship.

Fuzzy socks are a winter go to, and a cozy basket isn’t complete without them. These cute crew socks from Target are printed with snowflakes and come in red, black, blue, grey and pink, perfect for making sure they match your bestie’s vibe.

Add their favorite holiday candle. Or a new one that reminds you of them. Add an assortment of fun and festive candies, it’s Christmas after all.

For a fun activity with your bestie or boo, add a set of holiday sprinkles and cookie mix for a movie night with self care and baking – a perfect gift. Happy holidays, Seawolves.

Tag us in any photos of holiday baskets that you make at @hcstonybrook!

Julia is a national writer for Her Campus. While she writes for all verticals, her focus is the wellness section, bringing you everything you need to know about relationships, astrology, and the best ways to get down and dirty. Julia is a grad student at Syracuse University where she studies communications. She is a graduate of Stony Brook University, where she studied journalism with a minor in women's studies. During her time at SBU, she was a VS PINK campus rep, and an active member of Her Campus @ SBU. When she isn't writing, you can find Julia reading a smutty romance novel, hitting up her local crystal shop, or thrifting with an iced oat milk latte in hand. She's a Capricorn (but you probably already knew that) and a practicing yogi.