How to Survive a Forced Triple

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

It was possibly the worst thing most of us had to experience as freshman: the forced triple. Worse than being away from home, communal bathrooms, overpriced food, Union late-night lines, boring TAs, or the walk from H to Javits. One room, two dressers, two desks, two closets, and three beds. It can suck sometimes. Here are a few tips to make an unbearable living situation a little bit better.

1. Evenly Split Up SpaceOn moving in day, you’ll pick a bed and its corresponding color. Each dresser, desk, and closet has various colored stickers on them to divide the room. Think about what you care about more: closet or desk space? Odds no matter how the chips fall, your belongings will be found in miscellaneous places around the room, which can be very awkward when your underwear drawer ends up next to your roommate’s bed, making it uncomfortable to access. Speak up if you feel you are not getting enough space and understand if a roommate does the same. Don’t be afraid to ask to switch drawers or closet shelves to fit your needs. There is no clear your side/their side division, which can be tough when splitting up the space, but it can be done fairly so everyone is content.

2. Find Out Your Roommates’ BoundariesBe sure to ask what your roommates are comfortable with. Nudity, guests, late nights, early mornings, and out-loud music are all things to consider. If one has a strict 10pm bedtime, the other likes to stay out until 2am, and you prefer midnight, talk about the possibility of earplugs or eye masks if it could be a problem. Decide which lights can be turned on when someone is in bed. Most of the time, a slightly opened door with light from the hallway is all one needs to get ready and into bed. If one likes to have their friends over until in the night and you have an 8am in the morning, don’t be afraid to suggest a no guests after a certain time rule. Perhaps one does not like to have a bunch of guests over at all, you have to respect their comfort level and maybe one have one or two people over at a time. Everyone has the right to live comfortably in the room, however each person has their own wants and needs that need to be taken into consideration.

3. Learn Your Roommates’ Schedules

Have everyone print their schedules and put them on the door so you know when you can have the room to yourself to nap or have people over without having to worry about your roommates. Each one of you has the right to some privacy, so this is a way to get some peace and quiet without having to kick people out of the room.

4. Create a Group ChatRoommates need to communicate. Whether you need to tell them that you won’t be home that night, you locked yourself out, or ask if anyone needs anything from Target, a group chat on Facebook Messenger or GroupMe is a quick way to get information to your roommates. This is also a way to give a heads up that you will be bringing guests over to hang out or study. Everyone can be kept in the loop with a group chat.

5. Find Other Places to Study/ Hang OutWith two other people in the room, all needing space to work, its not the most ideal place to study. Especially if you have to share a desk and working on your bed doesn’t cut it. Work in the dorm lounges or the library (which is open until 2 am). You are more likely to be able to work without distractions and be comfortable. Also find other places to hang out in general. Other friends’ rooms, The SAC, or Starbucks can be lifesavers if you are feeling cramped.

By using these 5 tips, you can make it to that beloved day when you finally get a de-tripling offer. Good luck!

Her Campus Stony Brook Founder and Campus Correspondent Stony Brook University Senior Minnesotan turned New Yorker English Major, Journalism Minor