This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

I’m going to start this off with a disclaimer. I’ve spent the last five years in a long distance relationship, so I kind of know what I’m talking about. And as sucky as long distance is, I wouldn’t change it for anything.  It’s taught both me and my boyfriend a lot about ourselves, our relationship, and each other. 

Little things go a long way. Think they might like the big bag of Halloween candy from Target? That CD mix you’ve been thinking about for days? Do it! Chances are that they’ll like it. Plus, sending things as a surprise is a way to cheer them up if they’re having a bad week. As cheesy as it sounds, it’s the little things that count.

Support goes both ways. Support is easy when you’re in a regular relationship, but can be a little difficult for long distance. You always want to see your significant other to succeed, but sometimes it sucks if they have to move to a different state, or even get caught up in something they need to do. You’ve got to remember that you’re important, but school and their prior commitments are important too. You’re going to become an independent person, and that’s okay! You should be able to live a happy and healthy social life without relying on your relationship too much. Making friends and going out to trivia night is totally healthy in LDRs. You can have your cake and eat it too!Technology is going to become one of your best friends. Netflix dates on Skype can and will happen. Snapchatting each other during class because you’re bored and would rather pick out filters than pay attention will definitely happen. Your phone and data bill may go up but hey, at least you get to see their face!

As sucky as being in an LDR is, it’s totally worth it in the long run. Hard work pays off, and five years down the road you’ll be happy that you stuck it through!

Journalism, Stony Brook University Sophmore, Long Island
Her Campus Stony Brook Founder and Campus Correspondent Stony Brook University Senior Minnesotan turned New Yorker English Major, Journalism Minor