How to Keep Up Your Academic Motivation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

As the semester wears on, the familiar feelings of dread creep back in when thinking about that 8AM class, and it becomes more and more appealing to beg a friend to click in for you instead of attending lecture. In other words, it’s very easy to fall back into those bad habits from last semester! But with any luck, a few tricks will help keep you in line for at least a little longer.

Organization is key! If you don’t have one already, absolutely invest in a planner to keep on top of everything you need to do. Sometimes assignments seem less daunting when they’re spread out over days and weeks instead of one long list in your head.

Set up a reward system for yourself! Bribe yourself with snacks, time to fool around on the internet, naps, whatever it takes. Do what you need to to get you through that homework and actually learn it.

Get some sleep. As you work later and later into the night, just pulling an all-nighter starts to sound pretty appealing. Resist that temptation! Just a little bit of sleep can make you feel a whole lot better. If you want to figure out the best time to wake up if you have just a little bit of time, try using the website sleepyti.me! You can input when you need to wake up, and it’ll tell you when you should go to sleep. Alternatively, you can see when you should get up if you’re going to sleep right then. 

Some friendly competition never hurt anybody! If you haven’t already, try to make a buddy or two in your classes. Challenge each other to work harder. While you’re at it, you could find a few study buddies along the way.

Above all: remember that you or your parents are paying for you to be here. If that doesn’t put a little pep in your step when you’re trekking to those classes, I don’t know what will! 

Kaitlyn is a freshman at Stony Brook University and is majoring in journalism. She was born and raised in Brooklyn, New York, but is definitely warming up to Long Island. Kaitlyn loves fashion, beauty, feminism, cats, and elephants.
Her Campus Stony Brook Founder and Campus Correspondent Stony Brook University Senior Minnesotan turned New Yorker English Major, Journalism Minor