Life > Experiences

How I Came to be Terms with Being an Introvert

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

My parents would constantly compare me to other children throughout my life. They would wonder why their child was always cooped up in their bedroom while everyone else’s kids were mingling with their friends. They would wonder why I never wanted to go to parties and opted to stay at home instead. I would always ask myself these same questions. I would resent myself for always wanting to be in my own company. I kept beating myself up for it. It was an internal battle that I was constantly struggling with.

However, I realized that this was something that I had to learn to accept in time. I was an introvert. That is just who I am, and I should not have to change that. It’s nothing to be ashamed of. I want others to learn how to embrace their introverted-ness.

The first step that took to accept the fact that I was an introvert, was to realize that I was not alone. Having people constantly asking you why you were always self-isolating and missing from the crowd can make it seem like it’s a bad thing. Seeing other people around you exhibiting different behavior from you can also make you feel like you’re the problem. But this is not true! Many people enjoy their own company and enjoy keeping to themselves. Not everyone likes to be in social situations all of the time. Even people who seem to be extroverts often crave time alone as well. Everyone has some level of appreciation for their alone time. Don’t be ashamed of this, you’re not the only one that feels this way.

Another thing that I realized is that being introverted comes with many benefits. Being alone helped me learn a lot about myself. I spend most of my time reflecting o my thoughts and feelings. Instead of going to a party, I often stay home and do self-care. I also enjoy sitting alone at college instead of mingling with those around me so that I have time to watch shows that I enjoy and even get some work done for my classes. Being an introvert also helps you become independent. I find myself relying on other people less because I know how to handle myself alone.

Lastly, I found that having a balance is key. Being an introvert is great, but there’s also nothing wrong with pushing your limit to try something new. Putting yourself in an uncomfortable situation, such as forcing yourself to be in a social setting when you’d much rather be at home watching a movie, can prove to be rewarding. Sometimes I find that certain things aren’t as hard as it seems. Being social may not be for me all the time, but I do like to put myself in new situations once in a while, and I encourage you to do the same.

The most important thing about accepting that you’re an introvert is realizing that there’s no need to change who you are. There is nothing wrong with you. Everyone is different, and everyone has their own preferences. Just remember to do whatever makes you feel most comfortable and happy!

Ria Roy

Stony Brook '24

Ria Roy is a senior at Stony Brook University pursuing a Health Science degree on the pre-med track. She enjoys dancing, posting on social media, journaling, writing poetry, and listening to music in her free time. Follow her on Instagram at @riaroyyy