Football Novice to Super Bowl Savvy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

Football Basics For Beginners:

Maybe you’ve never watched a football game in your life and/or maybe when you do watch, it just looks like a bunch of men running around tackling each other for an inflated piece of leather. Either way, have no fear, after reading these few facts you’ll understand all of the basics to get you through this year’s Super Bowl.

Let’s start at the beginning; how the game works. The main objective of football, just like any other sport, is to outscore your opponent. There are a few ways to score points in Football including scoring a touchdown, kicking a field goal, or a safety.

A team can score a touchdown by either carrying the ball past the opposition’s goal line or catching a pass in the end zone.  A touchdown is worth 6 points. Once you score a touchdown you are eligible to go for extra point conversions. The options include either kicking a field goal, worth 1 point, from the 15th yard line or try to re-cross the opponent’s goal line after relining up at the 2nd yard line for a 2-point conversion. No matter which option you chose you only have one attempt. Another method of scoring is the aforementioned field goal. A field goal in football occurs when a team finds themselves in a fourth down situation, close to the opposition’s goal line; they can opt to attempt to kick the ball through the upright bars of the goal post. A field goal is worth 3 points and whether successful or unsuccessful, the other team regains passion after the kick.

The last way to gain points is through a safety. A safety happens when the defense is able to tackle the members of the offense holding a ball in their own end zone, wining 2 points. 

Another fact that can help you understand what is going on includes knowing how the ball can advance up the field. The offense must advance a minimum of 10 yards for every 4 attempts they make. Once they go 10 yards or further from the initial point, they get another 4 attempts to gain another 10 yards. If they are unsuccessful up until the 4th attempt they are able to kick the ball to the other team, kick a field goal or try for the 4th time. If they complete the original 10 yards on the 4th try they get another 4 attempts, but if they fail the other team gets the ball right at the line of scrimmage. The line of scrimmage is where the player holding the ball was tackled or ran out of bounds. It is also where all of the players line up at the beginning of each play.

This year’s Super Bowl (Super Bowl 50) is a battle between the Carolina Panthers and the Denver Broncos.

Facts for Football Fanatics:

Let’s assume you know more than just the basics of football, but maybe your beloved team didn’t make it this year. Here are a few fun facts about both teams that’ll help you have a better grasp on the importance of this year’s Super Bowl 50.

• This is the second time ever in history that Cam Newton and the Panthers will play Peyton Manning and the Broncos. The last time was in 2012. The Broncos won 36–14.
  • No matter which team wins, one quarterback will set an NFL record. Cam Newton would become the first quarterback ever to have won a national championship in college, the Heisman Trophy and Super Bowl. Peyton Manning would become the oldest quarterback to ever win a Super Bowl. 
  • Speaking of Manning’s age, this Super Bowl will contain the largest age gap of starting quarterbacks in super bowl history. (13 years and 48 days to be exact)
  • This is the 3rd year in a row that two number one seeds will meet in the Super Bowl.
  • Take notice that when the Panthers score Cam Newton always takes the football and gives it to a child in the stands.
  • Although he has been there before, Michael Oher, who the movie the Blind Side is about, will make his first Super Bowl appearance with his new team, The Carolina Panthers. 
  • This is only the Panther’s second time to the Super Bowl, and if they win it will be the first time in franchise history.
  • The NFL ditched the use of Roman numerals for Super Bowl 50, but plans on using them in future Super Bowls.
  • Side Note* Beyonce will also set a record this Super Bowl by being the first female musician to repeat as a halftime performer.

- -

Stony Brook

Her Campus Stony Brook Founder and Campus Correspondent Stony Brook University Senior Minnesotan turned New Yorker English Major, Journalism Minor