This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

What to keep private, how to protect yourself, and how to take advantage of our high speed society.

Entering college has long been associated with the notion of creating a new identity. Most of us have left our fingerprints in cyberspace through the use of social networking sites such as Twitter and Facebook. Some students use this opportunity of social networking to network for prospective internships or jobs.

I spoke to Nikki Barnett, a senior career associate at SBU’s Career Center about the positive and negative aspects of using the internet when looking for jobs. When asked about Facebook, Barnett was a bit hesitant because such sites are more social and personal in nature. When using such networking sites, we should be conscious of how we present ourselves because we do not know who could potentially come across our profile. Some employers, though not all, do look into the social networking pages of potential employees. And there have been cases of interviewers asking interviewees to access their profile during interviews.

It all depends on your “mentality and mindset,” says Barnett. If you intend to use such sites in a professional manner, then go for it. Social networking sites, when used strategically, can help you connect with an infinite number of resources. For instance, you can catch up with a friend who had a great internship experience last summer or become part of professional social networking sites like LinkedIn. Such websites allow for professional networking through reconnecting with former employers or for advice-sharing with experts in your field.

Barnett highly recommends the use of networking sites like LinkedIn, adding that “image is important and students should think about how they are creating their brand.” There are many aspects of LinkedIn that students can and should take advantage of, such as the “My Groups” section which can lead you to interesting events. In turn, you will be able to network even further and potentially land a job. Barnett says that this method has been quite successful for students so it is worth exploring. Always remember to request only people you know on LinkedIn and to keep contact professional. Also, make sure your profile is 100% complete.

Regardless of whether or not your employer asks to see your social networking profile, everyone should keep in mind that anything they post on the internet can potentially remain there forever. Be careful of what you put out there because virtually anyone can access it. Protect yourself by making sure that your profile is on private. Facebook users should take special precautions now that Facebook has set up a new profile. When my profile changed, my privacy settings switched to “everyone,” meaning that even strangers had access to my information, and I didn’t realize this until days later. Double check to make sure your settings are where you want them to be.

Though the Career Center has no statistics on how successful students have been using networking sites, it is evident that as we make further headway into the era of social networking we should use it to the best of our abilities. As internet savvy as we collegiettes are, we have to remember to always exercise caution.