Shopping via Unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Shopping via Unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Cam Morin via Unsplash
Style

Confession of a Professional Thrift Shopper

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

Would you believe me if I told you that 97 percent of my wardrobe was purchased from thrift shops? I consider myself an expert thrifter and I’m proud of the pieces I’ve found. At first thrift shopping may seem intimidating, but it’s not as bad if you follow these tips!

Dress Cozy

When thrifting for clothes, you are expected to want to try those clothes on before you buy them. The thrift shop is not a cat-walk, so you don’t have to dress to impress. That’s why I advise you to wear a t-shirt, sweat pants, shoes that can be easily taken off, and seamless underwear. This will make your time in the dressing room a breeze. 

Get a Clue

You shouldn’t expect to find the exact replica of the outfit you saw your fav insta baddie wearing, but you can look for something similar. Have an idea of what you want to get when going thrifting. Maybe there is a specific color or fabric that has caught your eye and you’re hoping to find something in that same family. Also don’t get discouraged if you don’t find what you were looking for. It’s not always an easy task but that’s what makes thrifting such a fun adventurous challenge.

Go Through the Racks

At a regular store, most things are organized. You don’t have to look through every rack to know what clothes you are getting. But with thrifting, it is important that you look through each piece of clothing. Some items become buried and hidden under other clothes, so you want to make sure that you are going through each one and looking at it. The more thrifting you do the easier it will become to scan through things you may or may not like.

Thrifting in NYC is Overrated

New York City has become an epicenter for shopping and there is no difference with thrifting. Yes, NYC may have more funky and eclectic thrift finds, but most of the time these items are overpriced. The purpose of a thrift shop is to be cheap, so why would I go there and pay even more than what I would at a regular store. Sometimes the best finds can be located in shops that are on the outskirts of the city or in neighboring states. I highly suggest going to New Jersey or Pennsylvania to find some cheaper gems.

Monei Green

Stony Brook '21

I am a journalism major at Stony Brook University My favorite episode of The Office is Stress Relief: Part 1 In my opinion, any sleeping period less than 3 hours is not considered a nap
Cece Cruz

Stony Brook '21

President/Editor-in-Chief here at the Her Campus Stony Brook Chapter! I joined Her Campus in Spring 2018 as a Junior Writer and I am currently majoring in Journalism with a minor in Political Science. My personality is somewhere between Rachel Green and Phoebe Buffay. I call that balance. In my free time you can find me doing... I'm a college student, if I appear to have any free time I'm probably procrastinating.