7 Essential Tips for Commuter Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

Stony Brook University is filled with diverse students from different countries, states, ethnicities, and backgrounds. Each and every one of us has a different story, with a unique college experience. Some students live on campus, while others are commuters. In fact, more than half Stony Brook students are commuters. As a commuter myself, there are many perks, but also drawbacks. With that being said, here are the best tips for being a successful commuter throughout the following years.

1. Plan Your Commute

Always give yourself extra time to get to class. If your class starts at 10am, figure out how long your commute is and then add another half-hour to it. You never know when there might be traffic, construction, or bad weather conditions. Find multiple ways to get to campus, so in case of a road closure, you have an alternate route. Also, keep in mind that once you get to the parking lot, you have to wait for a bus to take you to the main campus, which could take five to fifteen minutes depending on the day. Plan ahead carefully so that if one of these problems were to happen, you don’t feel super stressed trying to make it on time to your class.

2. Bring a Charger

Whether it’s a charger for your computer, phone, or iPad…bring it! If your phone is anything like mine, it randomly dies at 65%. You never know when you might need it.

3. Carry Spare Headphones

I always carry a spare set of headphones in case I forget my main pair. They’re perfect for listening to music or watching Netflix during your breaks. If I plan on spending a long day on campus, I must have headphones to help me concentrate and tune out the world.

4. Pack a Lunch from Home

While it’s always easier to buy lunch from the SAC day to day, your wallet and your body will thank you later. During my first semester of college, I would spend almost $10 a day just on food. It doesn’t seem like much, but it quickly adds up. In addition, the pizza, burgers, and curly fries are very hard to resist. Bringing lunch from home will save you money and time, and keep you from making unhealthy food choices.

5. Check the Weather

Before you leave in morning, always check the weather. Be prepared for rain, snow, sun or all of the above in one day. When in doubt, bring an umbrella. I have made that mistake one too many times. It’s fine if it’s raining while you’re in class, but when you have a fifteen-minute walk during a spontaneous downpour, you’re in trouble.

6. Find Study Spots…Besides the Commuter Lounge

The commuter lounge is a cool place to occasionally chill in between breaks, but Stony Brook has way more to offer. It can get pretty repetitive and boring if you stay in the same spot every day. Switch it up by finding new places to study or talk friends like the SAC, the North Reading Room, the Wang Center, and the Humanities building. The commuter lounge is usually pretty packed so it’s good to have multiple places you can go to if you need to study in a quiet environment.

Stay on Campus as Much as Possible

I think this is the most important piece of advice for commuters. While Stony Brook has plenty of ways for students to get involved, it’s up to the student to get involved. Be proactive and include yourself in activities, meeting new people, and joining clubs. Form a group of friends to study with for exams, interact with people in your classes, and go to office hours. Even if you are finished with classes, find a way to spend time with your friends and surround yourself with people. By doing this, you will have an enjoyable experience on campus and prosper throughout college.

Although being a commuter may not be easy at times, just remember all the positives that commuting offers like home cooked meals, your own bed to sleep in, and complete privacy. Keep these essential tips in mind and you will be the best commuter to ever live!

Suzanne Tawch

Stony Brook '20

Pre-Med. Things I like: coffee, Netflix, That 70's Show, memes. Things I don't like: Mondays, Youtube Ads, pineapple on pizza.
Her Campus Stony Brook Founder and Campus Correspondent Stony Brook University Senior Minnesotan turned New Yorker English Major, Journalism Minor