6 Things I Wish I’d Known as a Freshman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

As a senior, looking back at my freshman year, there are are a few important things I wish I’d known about school, life, relationships, you name it… They’d most certainly benefit me now.

1. Grades Matter!

If high school was a challenge, college is going to be worse. Take your classes seriously by attending every class ( or only miss them if you absolutely have to) and by studying hard.2. Friends Change

The truth is you may lose contact with your high school besties. One great part about college is the fact that you meet students from all around the country (and even the world). You’ll be exposed to many new, intriguing ideas, views and interests.

3. Make an Effort to Know Your Professor!

It would be beneficial for your professors to know who you are. Attend their office hours and participate in class. You may just need a recommendation one day for your study abroad application or for when you want to pursue graduate school.

4. Four Years Can Suddenly Turn into Five… or Six

General education classes, prerequisites, major and minor requirements, taking a semester off, changing majors, and going to school part-time are just a few things that may delay your four year degree plan. But hey, it is totally okay! According to the Department of Education, fewer than 40% of students who enter college each year graduate within four years, while almost 60% of students graduate in six years.

5. Don’t Leave Studying to the Last Minute

Start studying at least a week before. Your brain won’t remember everything you crammed into a one-night study sesh. And forget about those all nighters! Your body needs some TLC. 6. It’s Okay to Change Your Major (More Than Once or Twice)

How are we supposed to know what we’d like to do for the rest of our lives at 18? Take a few classes in different fields to see what you really enjoy. In the end, you’ll be much happier with a degree in your field of interest. And chances are, if you like the subject, you’ll be more likely to achieve better grades.

Tiffany is a senior at Stony Brook University majoring in Business Management. She’s an avid chocolate lover, enjoys traveling, taking pictures and baking. One day she aspires to speak Spanish fluently.
Her Campus Stony Brook Founder and Campus Correspondent Stony Brook University Senior Minnesotan turned New Yorker English Major, Journalism Minor