The 6 Stages of Realizing That Your First Year of College is Over

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

Stage One: Indifference

At this point, you quite honestly don’t care. The first year is over? Who has the time to even think about that when there are finals to stress study for.

Stage Two: Enlightenment

As you sit there, taking a well-deserved study break, it FINALLY hits you. You did it, you got through your first year of college!

Stage Three: Apprehension

Before you can fully process your newfound realization, another fact hits you. If you’re done with your first year, it means that you are one year closer to entering the “real-world.”

Stage Four: Sadness

Pretty soon, you’re going to be home for the summer. There are going to be a lot of things that you will miss and, chances are, thinking about this will make you kind of sad.

Stage Five:  Excitement

Once you get through the apprehension and the sadness, you realize that there is actually so much to be excited about! You finished your first year of college and you should be really proud of yourself.  Plus, you are about to embark on a wonderful journey of relaxation also known as summer.

Stage Six: Optimism

You had a great first year and you can’t help but feel optimistic that your next year, and each one after that, will be even better!

Congratulations to all my fellow first-years! We did it!

Beauty lover surviving college one step at a time!
Her Campus Stony Brook Founder and Campus Correspondent Stony Brook University Senior Minnesotan turned New Yorker English Major, Journalism Minor