5 Things Introverts Can Relate To

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

Some people thrive in social settings, some don’t. And those are the people we like to call introverts– people who much rather much spend their entire weekend at home by themselves or in a very small and personal social setting. If you’re an introvert, then you can probably relate to these five things. 

1. Needing alone time. 

Every now and then we need to take a break and recharge, and as a proclaimed introvert this is essential for me to function as somewhat of a decent human being. So after a long week of juggling assignments, classes, a social life, and attempting to stay fit, some weekends I need to retract and be free from all forms of human contact. No that doesn’t mean something is wrong and no that doesn’t mean I no longer like you, it just means I need some me time to unwind and process my thoughts and emotions.

2. Wanting to turn up… but not really. 

Do I turn up with the squad, or cuddle in my bed with a good show or movie? Yes this is a real question and sometimes an even harder decision to make if you’re an introvert. On one hand, I want to let loose and dance till my feet hurt, but on the other hand, I really don’t want to be bumping into sweaty strangers all night #ain’tnobodygottimeforthat.

3. Feeling a mini heart attack when you see a crowd of strangers. 

‘Quick, do I run left or right? Oh, snap it’s too late, just keep calm and don’t make eye contact.’ Outside I might appear composed, but internally I’m having somewhat of a nervous breakdown. As an introvert I absolutely hate crowds. And even more, I hate walking through or towards them alone.

4. “Let’s go around the room and introduce ourselves.”

If you hate being in the spotlight, then you know all too well the feeling of angst when a professor says this the first day of class. Just about every bone in my body is ready to run. And you would think that as a college senior I’ve gotten used to this, but nope I still hate it.

‘No Professor XYZ,  I don’t care about the other people in this classroom and I’m sure they couldn’t care less about me.’

5. Preparing days in advance to meet and be around new people. 

Meeting new people is not a walk in the park for everyone, and for introverts like myself, it can take days in advance to mentally prepare for such encounters. For me to fully thrive in social settings, I need a heads up.

Now don’t mistake this to believe that introverts are all weirdos that can’t hang and have fun. I can definitely turn up and have a good time when I choose to. But I also need a chance to balance it out with alone time too.

Gifs courtesy of Giphy

College journalist, photography lover and travel enthusiast
Her Campus Stony Brook Founder and Campus Correspondent Stony Brook University Senior Minnesotan turned New Yorker English Major, Journalism Minor