5 Sweet Treats for Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

Let’s enjoy some treats by using these easy tricks this Halloween!

1. Pumpkin Pretzels What you need:

• A bag of pretzels
  • Green M&Ms
  • White melting chocolate
  • Orange food coloring
  • 1 TSP of shortening

Instructions:

1. First, add 1 TSP of shortening to the chocolate to thin out the chocolate so that it flows nicely over the pretzels
  2. Melt the chocolate/shortening mix in the microwave in 1-minute intervals until properly melted
  3. Add orang food coloring to the chocolate and mix
  4. Submerge pretzels in the chocolate until completely covered
  5. Add one green M&M to the top middle of the pretzel and let it dry until completely hardened

Voila! A pumpkin pretzel!

2. Ghostly Strawberries! What you need:

• Melting white chocolate
  • Mini chocolate chips
  • Strawberries

Instructions:

1. Wash the strawberries
  2. Melt the chocolate in the microwave at 30-second intervals until perfectly melted
  3. Poor some chocolate on a tray with a spoon (or whatever utensil you’d prefer)
  4. Drop a bit of chocolate down first then continue to drizzle some more to make a tail
  5. Dip the strawberry in the chocolate and rest it in the main drop of chocolate on the tray
  6. Add the chocolate chips to make the eyes and the mouth
  7. Repeat and enjoy!

3. Hot Dog Spiders What you need:

• Hot dogs
  • 1 tube of crescent dough
  • Sesame seeds

Instructions:

1. Preheat the oven to 400°F and butter up a cookie tray
  2. Cut each hot dog in half and then cut the halves in half again but this time, lengthwise
  3. Keep the middle intact and make 3 slices at either end of each hot dog piece to make 4 legs on each side
  4. Cut the dough into strips, about 1 inch wide and 2 inches long and wrap a piece of dough around the middle of each hot dog
  5. Push 2 sesame seeds into the middle of the dough to make the spider’s eyes
  6. Bake for 10-12 minutes and enjoy!!

4. Reeses Peanut BAT-ter Cups What You Need:

• Mini ReesesTM Peanut Butter Cups
  • OreosTM
  • Candy eyes (can be found at your local Michael’s or craft store)
  • Frosting

Instructions:

1. Unwrap the peanut butter cups and take off the top and bottoms of the OreoTM cookies and cut the cookies in half to make wings
  2. Take a little bit of vanilla frosting and put it on the back corner of the OreoTM wing
  3. Then, place the “wing” on the peanut butter cup with the frosting coming into contact in the middle of the peanut butter cup (repeat on other side)
  4. Then take some frosting and put it on the back of the candy eyes and stick the candy eyes on to the middle of the peanut butter cup and you’re all done!

5. Monster Krispies What You Need:

• White melting chocolate
  • Rice Krispy TreatsTM
  • Sugar candy eyes (found at any Michael’s or craft store)
  • Food coloring of your choice

Instructions:

1. Unwrap the Rice Krispy TreatsTM
  2. Melt the chocolate in the microwave at 30-second intervals and mix in food coloring when completely melted
  3. Dip the Rice Krispy TreatTM halfway through the melted chocolate and add the candy eyes to the chocolate section
  4. Rest and let dry on wax paper or a tray
  5. Enjoy!

Have a Happy Halloween, Seawolves!

Kayla Keller

Stony Brook

I am a Junior at Stony Brook University majoring in Linguistics and minoring in English and Writing and Rhetoric. I love reading and traveling to places I've never been before. I often go on adventures, such as hiking and finding new towns and cities to explore. These moments truly inspire me to continue writing, especially about the different places I've gone to and the experiences I've had. Ever since I was a young girl, I've always wanted to become a published author!
Her Campus Stony Brook Founder and Campus Correspondent Stony Brook University Senior Minnesotan turned New Yorker English Major, Journalism Minor