15 Things Every Commuter Will Understand

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

1. You have to wake up earlier than everyone else, which just isn’t fair.

2. You feel the need to make yourself look better than those who dorm since there’s no place to hide.

3. Figuring how long it will take you to get to the parking lot, find a spot, and get on the shuttle is a science.

4. Most of the money you save by living at home goes away every time you have to fill up your gas tank.

5. Once you get to campus you can get uncomfortably close to people on the Express shuttle.

6. When your professor emails you too late that class is canceled and you drove all the way there.

7. You may feel like an outcast sometimes because you aren’t living on campus.

8. “You’re not getting the whole college experience!” is something you hear every time you tell someone you commute. 

9. But, as soon as you find out other people are commuters, you feel an instant connection.

10. At least, one semester you’re schedule ends up being like this: one class at 9AM, the next one at 5PM.

11. And when you have this break you have nowhere comfortable to go.

12. You can still have some of the college experience by making friends who live on campus.

13. In which that case, their room becomes your room.

14. Not only is their room your room, but also their social life is your social life.

15. But at the end of the day, there’s no place like home

- -

Stony Brook

Her Campus Stony Brook Founder and Campus Correspondent Stony Brook University Senior Minnesotan turned New Yorker English Major, Journalism Minor