13 Tell Tale Signs You’re Basic and Why You Should Embrace It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

You take pride in your appearance. 

There’s nothing wrong in taking pride in your appearance. It’s only a problem if you take it too seriously and base your worth solely on it, which is ironic, seeing as the people who judge others for watching YouTube tutorials, getting their hair done and buying clothes at Victoria’s Secret tend to take doing so pretty seriously themselves.

Taylor Swift. Need I say more?

It’s more than Ok to listen to popular music. I’m not really sure why there’s something taboo about liking songs that everyone else already has discovered and likes. Popular music is catchy as hell, that’s why it’s called popular.

You love social media. 

Even though Instagram doesn’t need to see another picture of you and your friends for “National Best Friend Day,” you like it, and funnily enough, social media is more about you than anybody else anyway.

You’ve used a cliché quote as a caption.

Cliché statements are undeniably true at some levels. You really are #blessed. Don’t let anyone make fun of you for appreciating what you have.

You’ve tried to do Pinterest crafts.

If you have the kind of life where you can spend time to make Pinterest crafts, then why wouldn’t you? Think about it, you’re luckier then a large percentage of people in this world to be able to have that time.

You’re always down for Wine Night with the girls.

There’s nothing wrong with getting together with your girlfriends and de-stressing after a long week. Wine is classy and if you feel the need to share that with everyone on the Internet, you have your moment.

You own something with your monogram on it.

Key-chains, boots, bags everything monogrammed. Everyone knows the initials of a basic girl because she has them stamped on everything she owns. If people are taking the time to recognize your monogram consider yourself famous because you have fans.

You relax with Yankee Candles.

If you can light candles and take baths, consider yourself lucky. Embrace and be proud of the fact that you make time for yourself and your mental health. Who is anyone to deprive you of that time?

You quote Mean Girls regularly.

Mean Girls is like the bible of being basic. Maybe more people would want to “bake a cake filled with rainbows and smiles” if they took the time to appreciate this movie as much as you do.

Your camera roll is full of selfies.

You look good so why not savor the moment! There’s nothing wrong with taking a picture to appreciate how you look, even if it does take 100 pictures to find the best one. 

The baristas at Starbucks know your name.

You love Starbucks and that’s okay. Everyone is allowed to have a preference when it comes to what they’re drinking and yours just so happens to be the same as a lot of other people. Even if you aren’t a coffee drinker, going there to have them spell your name wrong is half of the fun. 

Pumpkin spiced everything.

Pumpkin spice lattes, muffins, bread, pancakes, cake, cookies, and the list goes on. There’s nothing wrong with obsessing over something that is only around for a limited amount of time. Make the most of the season and get as many pumpkin flavored things before they disappear until next year.

You literally can’t even.

Sometimes there is no way to describe how you feel except by saying you can’t even. Let’s be real, if you were to explain every issue to someone, they would complain you are just being dramatic. Using this short and sweet saying really does save everyone time and energy.

Being basic may have a bad rap but I can assure you there’s nothing wrong with enjoying the simple things in life that make you happy, whether they are mainstream or not. If you take anything from this article, it should be:

- -

Stony Brook

Her Campus Stony Brook Founder and Campus Correspondent Stony Brook University Senior Minnesotan turned New Yorker English Major, Journalism Minor