This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

Ever since I was a kid I’ve been one of those people who needs to be involved in a show. In elementary school I would wake up extra early to watch cartoons before going off to school, and now I will arrange my schedule to accommodate whatever Netflix show I’m binging. Being able to just forget about all of the craziness in my life and focus on the characters on the screen in front of me, is a huge stress reliever and TBH, keeps me sane.

To get involved in a show is a big commitment, and not everyone can get through a show with 15-20 episodes per season and nine-plus seasons (i.e. Criminal Minds and Grey’s Anatomy) when we are also dealing with stress from school, work, sports etc. So I have compiled a list of 10 of the best shows on Netflix with 10 episodes or less so that you can get all the satisfaction of being involved in a show, without the huge commitment… Basically the Netflix equivalent to friends with benefits (but in the best way).

Here we go!

*Disclaimer* these are only shows I have  personally watched and can vouch for, I’m sure there are other great Netflix shows that fit the criteria of this list, I just haven’t watched them.

1. Stranger Things

If you haven’t seen Stranger Things, stop reading and open Netflix right now. This show is one of the most popular Netflix Originals and you have time to catch up before season three drops on July 4th. You have to give the show a couple episodes to really hook you, but TRUST ME it’s worth it.

2. Sex Education

Y’ALL! I love this show. It’s about a quirky British high schooler who has a sex therapist for a mom, but is extremely paranoid about *doing it*. However, despite his own insecurities he becomes a sort-of sex therapist for his fellow classmates who, as it turns out, have even more problems than him. Television typically portrays sex as this perfect, passionate thing in which with both people look perfect the entire time and finish at the exact same moment, but this show portrays sex as real and messy, and full of random issues and insecurities. It addresses and de-stigmatizes everything from vaginismus to not being able to orgasm to feeling insecure with the lights on. The diverse characters and friendships in this show are fantastic, and I love how it addresses real problems real people have.

3. Atypical

UGHHH another show that gives me *all* the feels. Atypical is about a senior in high school named Sam who is ready to start dating. While this seems like a horribly boring plot for a show, the caveat is that Sam has autism so dating is a huge, difficult thing for him. My favorite part of Atypical is how it portrays Sam’s relationship with his family and how his autism diagnosis has shaped all of their lives. If you want your heart to be warmed, 10/10 would recommend.

4. Queer Eye

The Fab Five are a national treasure. Queer Eye is about five gay men who help struggling people transform their home, look and overall life habits and outlook. Never in my life has a show made me happy-cry more. This is straight-up pure and wholesome content that will brighten your life.

5. You

Prepare to go through a massive rollercoaster of emotions in this bat-sh*t crazy show. Penn Badgley (aka Dan Humphrey) plays Joe, a bookstore manager who takes a liking to aspiring writer Guinevere Beck that quickly turns into an obsession. This show is some of the wildest content I have ever seen and it will probably creep you out but is definitely worth the watch.

6. American Vandal (Season 1)

This show is straight-up hilarious in the best way, because it is not trying to be funny. A “mock-umentary,”  American Vandal is portrayed as a serious true-crime documentary created by a high schooler trying to prove the innocence of his classmate who was expelled for vandalizing the teachers parking lot. A fantastic show that is honestly very relatable to what high school is like, and just so funny.

7. The People vs O.J. Simpson

An *actual* true crime show, about the  O.J. Simpson trial. I binged this is two days. Incredibly addictive and incredibly good. That is really all that needs to be said.

8. Maniac

This show will take you on a trip, but is so fascinating at the same time. The star-studded cast headlined by Emma Stone and Jonah Hill, along with the great visuals makes this show so captivating. It takes a minute to understand what is going on, but trust me, it’s worth it.

9. Conversations with a Killer: The Ted Bundy Tapes

SHEEESH this show is crazy.. A four-part docu-series about Ted Bundy that was just fascinating, but in the best/worst way. This show had Twitter reeling for a few days and rightfully so. Definitely give it a watch if you are at all into crime shows.

10. Dating Around

Netflix’s version of a dating show, and let me tell you, they did it right. Each episode focuses on one person and five blind dates they go on, but is shot so that the dates flow seamlessly and it doesn’t have any interviews or stops. Every subject is very different, ranging from a gay man to a divorcee to an older widower. I can shamelessly say I watched this in one night. Super lighthearted but also fascinating to watch, purely because the way it was shot and edited.

Happy binging!

Liz Pulver

Stony Brook '20

Journalism Major and Division 1 Volleyball Student-Athlete California girl living on the East Coast Twitter: @lizmarievb Instagram: @_elizabethpulver_ LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/lizpulver
The collgiette's online guide to life in seawolf country.