jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

You Stressed…….or nah?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stonehill chapter.

Having a stressful day or week? As a college student, it is very common to have multiple tests, quizzes, homework, and other priorities all at the same time. And as if that’s not enough, getting sick usually tags along. 80% of college students reported feeling stressed sometimes or often throughout the year and if your one of those people, follow these 5-easy stress-management tips:

1. SLEEP! It is easy to find yourself staying up until 2 a.m. or later when your workload is overwhelming. You may feel like it is better to stay up and keep studying or get your work done, but sleep can actually be more beneficial. Getting around 8 hours of sleep a night is best for your health and can decrease stress levels. You will be more productive during the day when you get the proper amount of sleep and chance of illness also decreases.

2. Exercise. It sucks I know. Exercise is not always the most enjoyable thing do to, and when you’re stressed or tired it is most likely the last thing on your mind. However, exercising is proven to relieve stress levels even if it is only for a half hour. It doesn’t have to be extreme but something small like walking around or doing yoga can greatly decrease levels of stress. Find something you enjoy and add it to your daily routine!

3. Rely on your friends for support. Adjusting to college can be difficult and many times students feel like they are alone. Let me tell you, YOU’RE NOT. Find time in your day to talk to a friend or do some type of activity with them. Different things you can do include going on a lunch date or just hanging out in your room. Having that one person you can count on to vent to and give you advice is an easy way to decrease stress.

4. Take a break. Do you find yourself sitting in the library for 8 hours a day on top of your classes? Taking a break in between work can actually allow you to get more done. It may seem like you’re wasting time but trust me, sitting in the library stressed isn’t going to allow you to be productive. It is common to find yourself staring at your work without actually getting much done. Try working hard for a few hours then take an hour break for food or a nap before you continue.

5. Create a schedule and prioritize. Having a schedule is an effective and easy way to manage your time and reduce stress. Going into each day knowing what you need to get done and having a plan for when you will do each task can reduce anxiety and stress. Don’t wait until the last minute!

Happy studying and don’t forget to follow these tips (: 

Nicole Geraghty

Stonehill '20

Health science major at Stonehill College from Bridgewater, MA
Marissa Bazzano

Stonehill '20

Student at Stonehill College from Hartford Connecticut.