Wellness

You May Have a Morning Routine, but What About a Night Routine?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stonehill chapter.

You have probably seen “that” girl on Tiktok with aesthetic morning routines – drinking green smoothies, journaling, and exercising before work. Maybe this has motivated you to establish a morning routine in your own life, to make the mornings better. We have all been told that breakfast is the most important meal of the day and that the morning sets the tone for the day, but what do you do for yourself when it is time to wind down at the end of the day before your head hits the pillow?

Implementing healthy habits in the morning is equally as important as creating habits for yourself at the end of the day. Below are a few activities and ways that you can add to your night routine to help your body wind down, reduce anxiety, and have a better night’s sleep. 

Put your phone down 30 minutes before

Way easier said than done, I know, but having your phone stimulating your brain right before bed provokes restlessness which leads to poor sleep. Your brain is unable to go from 100mph to sleeping when stimulated like this. Having a nighttime routine will help gradually bring your brain from 100mph (as it was all day) to sleeping in a timely manner.

Journal

Journaling, as I’m sure you’ve seen on social media, is being portrayed as a trend. Trust me when I say it is much more than that and can be extremely beneficial! I personally like to write down whatever is on my mind at the end of the day, generate solutions for problems or things I would like to work on, or write down things that I am grateful for. I have found that writing things down helps me take a step back and better understand a situation or my emotions. 

Have a skincare routine

Facials have been known to cause relaxation for decades. There is nothing better than something that is relaxing and will benefit your health. Try out some new products, or explore the products you already use. 

Take a shower

Another time to try new products to help you relax is in the shower! I love exploring new hair products and body scrubs (especially from small businesses). Just a great time to decompress.

Take your mind elsewhere with a book or a show

Watching a show can be difficult because of the stimulation from your computer screen but getting your mind away from your day is a great way to ease into sleep.

Light a candle or diffuse essential oils

My roommate and I LOVE candles and light them all the time. (if you are my RA, you didn’t read that…oops) My other roommate recently got an oil diffuser and the relaxing aroma and smells have the same effect for her.

Abby Ahearn

Stonehill '24

Abby Ahearn is a senior at Stonehill College, pursuing a Bachelor of Science in Business degree, with a marketing major and entrepreneurship minor. She is also a member of the NCAA Division 1 Stonehill Women's Lacrosse Team. She is passionate about traveling, any activity outdoors, country music, and finding the good in everything.