UPDATE: FREE KE$HA

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stonehill chapter.

#FREEKESHA

In 2014, Kesha filed a lawsuit against Lukasz Sebastian Gottwald aka Dr. Luke for alleged sexual assault and emotional abuse. If you haven’t heard already, Kesha lost her court case against Dr. Luke in February this year. This forces Kesha to stay in her recording contract with her alleged abuser.

Kesha took to Facebook to write, “All I ever wanted was to be able to make music without being afraid, scared, or abused. This case has never been about a renegotiation of my record contract – it was never about getting a bigger, or a better deal. This is about being free from my abuser. I would be willing to work with Sony if they do the right thing and break all ties that bind me to my abuser.” Sony said it legally cannot end the contract between Kesha and Dr. Luke.

Kesha wrote on her Instagram three days ago, “I got offered my freedom IF I were to lie. I would have to APOLIGIZE publicly and say that I never got raped.”

According to Rolling Stone, a spokesperson for Dr. Luke stated this after Kesha’s instagram post, “The Court repeatedly stated Kesha is already free to record without Dr. Luke, and that she had not presented any facts supporting her claims. That’s because all the evidence – including Kesha’s own videotaped sworn testimony – show her allegations are false. The only thing Kesha is not free to do is to continue to lie about Dr. Luke through publicity stunts and outrageous smears, ignoring the fact that by her own free will she went to work and entered into new contracts with Dr. Luke years after this ‘incident’ supposedly happened. Her goal all along has been solely personal enrichment by seeking to break contracts that brought her success and millions so she can enter into more lucrative ones. We look forward to our day in court holding Kesha accountable for her lies.”

The battle between Kesha and Dr. Luke is on going; even other celebrities are stepping in. Many other celebrities are supporting Kesha publically. Adele said, “I’d also like to take this moment to publicly support Kesha,” during her acceptance speech at the Brit Awards. Taylor Swift donated 250,000 dollars to Kesha to help her financially during this time. Other celebrities include Demi Lovato, Reese Witherspoon, and Lady Gaga all took to social media to show their support for Kesha. Check out the hashtags #FreeKesha and #SaveKesha on twitter to hear from other Kesha supporters!

Kesha admits that she would rather ruin her career than to lie to get out of her contract and work with her alleged abuser. Kesha is apparently writing music, but refusing to record with Sony and Dr. Luke. She has not released any music since her last album Warrior in 2012. If you are a Kesha supporter, there are ways to help! There is a GoFundMe campaign running that you can donate any amount of money that will be donated to Kesha to help her buy out her recording contract. 2care is a petition that you can sign in an effort to tell Sony not to force Kesha to work with her alleged abuser, the petition is directed to Doug Morris, CEO of Sony Entertainment. Another petition is SumOfUs that has a petition to stop enforcing rape contracts and to Free Kesha from hers. If you are a dedicated Kesha fan check out these campaigns to help show your support for her!

Jgaldorisi

Stonehill

Kassie is currently a junior studying marketing at Stoneill College. She loves green tea, popcorn and her dog, Pumpkin.