This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stonehill chapter.

Taylor Swift released her seventh album just over a month ago and let’s just say something is wrong if you haven’t agreed that it’s her BEST album yet. Lover proved to be a return of the old Taylor we all know and a tribute to her boyfriend, British actor Joe Alwyn. Subtle hints reveal the couple may already be engaged or even married. Throughout her eighteen song album, Swift provides us with lots of love, color, and fun!

1.  I Forgot That You Existed

Rumor has it Swift gave this one to her ex-Calvin Harris and aimed it towards the ONLY song about him. Others think it’s about the Kimye feud. Either way, Tay is addressing her haters and reminding everyone that the best way to eliminate toxic people is to just forget that they exist!!

2. Cruel Summer

Easily one of the best songs on the album, Taylor sings about the many overwhelming emotions she felt during the beginning of her relationships. Obviously about Alwyn, it was almost impossible for her to hide her love for him at the beginning, and she may have been falling for him before she even knew it.  

3. Lover

Lover reveals that she and Alwyn may be settled in together by now and that they’ve known each other for three summers now. This signifies a strong message that the two may already be engaged or married!

4. The Man

Swift sings much about sexism and how her success has been limited by her gender. She sings that her life would have progressed much quicker if she was “a man”.

5. The Archer

Looking back at Swift’s past relationships, she realizes how they haven’t lasted because they genuinely were not a good fit. She fears Alwyn may not stick with her because of her past mistakes and reputations with men. 

6. I Think He Knows

It’s very obvious about Swift’s feelings towards her man in this song from singing about his boyish look and indigo eyes. She expresses how she hopes Alwyn (we think) “locks it down”, which most likely means marriage. 

7. Miss Americana & The Heartbreak Prince

Swift mixes it up and sings about how she thinks our world is struggling under the Trump Administration and how we’re so blinded by it. After remaining silent about it for so many years, she finally speaks up about the crazy inequality and politics present. 

8. Paper Rings

Swift’s Paper Rings exemplifies being so in love with someone that you would do anything to spend the rest of your life with them. She shows how much she loves Alwyn by indicating how she doesn’t even need a real diamond but instead, a paper ring will do.

9. Cornelia Street

Cornelia Street takes the setting of a place where a relationship may have begun, specifically her and Alwyn’s, and a place where all your first memories are. She explains how she’ll “never walk Cornelia Street again” if she ever suffered a breakup there because of all of her first-hand memories with him in New York.

10. Death By A Thousand Cuts

T-Swift sings about how breakups are like “death by a thousand cuts”. Constantly waking up and losing sleep over old memories she can’t get rid of. She portrays the message that it’s okay to not be okay and that it’s too hard to pretend how painful a breakup can be. For those who have gone through a breakup, we can probably agree that it feels like death and a thousand cuts at the same time.

11. London Boy

If you haven’t gotten the clue yet about Taylor’s love for her “London Boy” Joe Alwyn, this song definitely make it apparent. She reminds us that home is where the heart is, but that’s not where hers is, AKA he’s in London;))) 

12. Soon You’ll Get Better

One of Swift’s heartbreakers, she sings about her Mom’s diagnosis and battle with cancer for several years. In this sad song, she explains how her mom will get better soon because she has to, as Swift cannot live without her mother in her life. This song was put on her album through a family decision, as it is a very personal part of her and her family’s life.

13. False God

Taylor’s most risque hit on the album, she sings about the toughest times in her relationship and how she was able to work through them. She sings about how “religion is in your lips” and “the alter is my hips”. Swift almost turns religion into a more sexy term.

14. You Need To Calm Down

Swift wrote this one about the LGBTQ community as a way to advocate for different types of people and the types of hate she, herself has received over the past years. One of her most colorful songs, she decided to release it as her second single in June just in time for pride month! 

15. Afterglow

Afterglow reveals Swift’s realization of the mistakes she may have made in her relationships and comes to terms with them. She doesn’t want to lose the person so explains how everything is on her and that she wants to fix things. She sings, “Just don’t go. Meet me in the afterglow”.    

16. ME!

Taking the opposite approach from Afterglow, she finally shares her happiness and self-confidence she finally has with herself. After such a dark album (Reputation), Swift redeemed herself by releasing this hit to promote self-love and acceptance and that if someone doesn’t love you back they are SO not worth keeping around!!

17. It’s Nice To Have A Friend

Swift may be singing about her relationship with Alwyn and how they just started out as friends which may have turned into something more than that. The song may represent her personal growth over her musical years and how it’s just simply nice to have a friend to overcome everything with.

18. Daylight

Closing her album with her last track Daylight, Swift takes a more positive approach and lets go of her past relationships focusing more on embracing the present. She sings how she has been sleeping in a “20-year dark night” and now she sees “daylight”.

We’re just so lucky that TSwift only made two tour locations in the United States with one being at GILLETTE in Foxboro, MA!! We all know Boston brings a crowd like no other!! Who’s ready for LOVER FEST EAST??? I know we are :) (Sorry, excited is an understatement for us)

Julia Duplin

Stonehill '20

Senior at Stonehill College
Marissa Bazzano

Stonehill '20

Student at Stonehill College from Hartford Connecticut.