This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stonehill chapter.

I got my first tattoo a little under a year ago and I remember my anxiety being at an all-time high. This wasn’t because I was nervous of actually getting the tattoo (although I was), but more so because I didn’t know how a tattoo shop worked and was worried that the artists would judge me because I didn’t look like them. I had no tattoos, and definitely didn’t have the same badass vibe that they did.

Now, I currently have my first tattoo, which is a book on my wrist (a nine out of ten on the pain scale in case you were curious), and a floral piece on my opposite forearm, which I’m planning on adding to in order to make it into a half sleeve (only a five out of ten for pain!). Even though I have only been in a tattoo shop four times, I can now walk into my shop with total ease! If you want a tattoo but are worried about some things, here are a few tips I can give you that will hopefully make you feel a bit more comfortable with walking inside for the first time!

1. Do not bring in a tattoo from Pinterest

Now, don’t get me wrong, Pinterest has some amazing tattoos and the ones that you like are great to bring in as a reference, but please don’t plan on getting the same exact thing that is in the picture. A good artist won’t just copy and paste the design onto you but will tell you ways to improve or change the design to make it better or more personal to you.

2. Find an artist that you like and stick to them

I went to three different artists before I found someone who worked for me. You want to pick an artist that you trust. This will allow you to feel more comfortable when you’re being tattooed and will also give all your pieces a uniform look. While it’s obviously important that your artist does good work, you also want to like them as a person. Do you want an artist that makes conversation while they are tattooing you, or someone who doesn’t? Do you like their style of tattooing? Do they listen to you when you ask for something specific? These are all important questions to ask.

3. Really think about the piece before you get it

A tattoo is a life-long commitment. You can’t just peel it off your skin one day if you decide that you don’t want it anymore. I learnt this the hard way with my second piece and ended up having to get it covered up a few weeks after I got it (although it worked out because it was how I found my artist that I use now). Still, I would recommend contemplating a tattoo for a month or two before you get it permanently stamped on your body. There are a lot of people who get spontaneous tattoos and love them years later, but there are also a lot of people who deeply regret them, so think smart.  

4. Act like you belong

Fake it till you make it! When you first walk into the shop, just act like you’ve been there before. Walk in confidently and with a calm demeanor. Look for someone who works there. Some shops will have a receptionist of sorts, others will have you talk directly to one of the artists. Either way, make that eye contact as soon as you can and just say hello. The truth is, most tattoo shops are very chill, and if you at least pretend to be chill too, they’ll never know you’re secretly panicking on the inside.

Photo by Allef Vinicius on Unsplash

Emma Cianciulli

Stonehill '22

Emma is a senior at Stonehill College, where she is majoring in English. When she isn't at school, Emma enjoys thrift shopping, reading a good book, spending time with her horse, and hanging out with friends. She lives in New Hampshire with her mom and two cats. Her dream job is to be an editor for a fashion magazine.