Stonehill Does Los Angeles

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stonehill chapter.

London, Paris, New York City. One of the greatest things about attending Stonehill, is the fact that our school gives you so many opportunities to get out of Easton (and the comfort of Town Spa pizza) and go see the world. For many on campus, this means taking a semester to study abroad and see the sights in Europe, or experience life down under in Australia.

However, others take a more domestic route, and choose to intern in one of Stonehill’s internship programs in New York City, Washinton DC or Los Angeles. This fall, three students (including myself) have chosen to fly across the country and experience life on the west coast. Internship placements include working for NBC Universal, The Groundlings, the Queen Latifah Show, Konnect PR and Barry Katz Entertainment. While those of you on campus are lounging in the courts or trying to make it to the Hill before it closes, these three students have been working on the set of television shows, seeing iconic landmarks such as Route 66 and the Hollywood sign, and even cat calling Derek Hough from car windows.

To read more about their adventures and experiences in the entertainment industry, check out Stonehill’s student life blogs, where they send in weekly updates. http://stonehillblogs.org/students/

But until then, here is a preview of what they’ve been saying:

Kate McCarthy ’14, Intern for the Queen Latifah Show

“While the show is taping, I get to watch on monitors in the holding room. What I didn’t expect though, is that I find the most interesting time to be during commercial breaks. This is when producers, stage managers and directors flood the stage. Make up artists do touch ups and the wardrobe is fixed. It is amazing to see how many people behind the scenes it takes to run a production like this. Being backstage during a taping is just as interesting as being on the set. It’s anything but quiet during the show; there’s an exciting energy back there as well, meaning I am never in for a dull moment on the job. The more time I spend on the set and learning my way around the lot, the more I realize that I will probably never work in a cubicle.”

Kate McCarthy is  a senior at Stonehill College in Easton, Massachusetts. She is a Communications major and a journalism minor. Although she does not know what she wants to do when she graduates, her dream job is having her own talk show and becoming a one woman sensation, like Oprah. At Stonehill, you can find her  winning championships with her intramural basketball team, swimming laps in O'Hara Pond or reading James Patterson novels in the cafeteria. After a semester studying abroad in the Czech Republic, her main goal in life is to travel the world. She is currently interning in Los Angeles, at the Queen Latifah show.