Six Pieces of Advice: Ones I Can Give to You, But Have a Hard Time Taking

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stonehill chapter.

I am sure I am not alone when I say that giving advice comes naturally, but taking our own advice is a totally different story. No matter who it may be, if someone is struggling, I try my hardest to make them feel better, especially by giving them advice speaking from personal experience. I give the best advice if I do say so myself and wouldn’t life by a little easier if I could take my own advice. Imagine how many tears would be saved from shedding, how much more sleep I would get, how much less hurt and alone I would feel. I am going to give you six pieces of advice, in hopes that I can try and take them myself, in order to live a happier life.

1. Put yourself first

You are the most important person in your life. It doesn’t matter what they want, or they need right now, your needs are what matters. If there is something that you want in life, go for it, don’t let your fear of upsetting others hold you back. Sometimes, opportunities are only granted once, and you shouldn’t let them pass just because someone else might want them. Putting yourself first may seem selfish, but it isn’t. It is important, you are important, and you are number one, don’t settle for number two.

2. Don’t change who you are to be who others want you to be

If you want to stay in and read books and not go out partying like all of the other people your age, then do it. If you want to play in a band but your friends think that’s stupid, screw your friends. You need to be who you want to be, you are the best version of yourself. You do not need to change your appearance, lifestyle, values, beliefs or anything at all, based on the opinions, pressure or judgment of others. Don’t change, unless it is on your own terms, and certainly don’t let anyone change you on theirs.

3. Make your own decisions- the people who truly love and care for you will be supportive no matter what

It is hard making decisions, especially when all you want to do is please those around you with the ones that you make. Try not to live fearing what others may think about your choices and follow your heart and your gut. If you want to do something, do it, no matter how controversial or widely unaccepted it may be. Make your own decisions, and the people who truly love and care for you will be supportive of you no matter what.

4. Don’t sit around waiting for them to text you back- they aren’t worth your time

There is no point in waiting around for someone who has no intentions of reaching out or texting back in the first place. You should not have to beg someone to pay attention to you or sit around waiting for them to acknowledge you. If they cared, they wouldn’t leave you feeling alone, worthless or stupid just waiting by the phone for them. They would try, and they would want to talk to you. Don’t sit around waiting for them to text you back- I promise they are not worth your time.

5. You can’t save everyone

My mom always tells me that I cannot fix everyone, no matter how hard I try. There are some people who aren’t worth trying to save or fix: the ones who disregard you and your attempts to help them. You can’t save others when you need saving yourself. It is okay to care for others, but it is even more important to work towards bettering yourself, and coping with your own struggles and problems. Don’t let it bring you down when you aren’t able to fix someone and make them feel whole again, give yourself some credit for trying. Don’t forget, just like my mom said, you merely cannot save everyone.

6. Find time for yourself

Take a bath, eat some cake, stay in bed all day. You deserve some “me” time, and you should never feel guilty for finding some. Sometimes we all just need to be alone and enjoy our own personal existence. In this fast-paced world we live in today, it is so hard to find a minute to relax and have time to ourselves. But, when we do, it is the most magical feeling in the world. Why shouldn’t we dedicate some time for ourselves and put the rest of the world on hold? Starting right now, you should find time for yourself. Go put on your favorite pair of pjs, grab a carton of ice-cream and binge watch your favorite show with the volume up as loud as your heart desires.

Marissa Bazzano

Stonehill '20

Student at Stonehill College from Hartford Connecticut.