This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stonehill chapter.
Relationships in College

College is a life experience like no other. You get to live with your best friends, try new things, and really learn who you are as a person. Making time for someone else and navigating a relationship on top of that can be daunting, but if you find the right person it can be so worth it. I have personally been in a long-term relationship for two years, with my boyfriend attending Boston College and me here at Stonehill College. We started dating right around Senior Prom in 2018 and have been together ever since. It’s been hard at times, but there are so many pros that people may not think of when talking about dating in a college setting. Everyone’s situation is different. I know someone who is in a long-distance relationship, and I also know couples who get to be on the same campus all the time. Whatever the circumstance, making it work and communication is always the goal. Here are some positives that I have gained over the years.

1. Getting to know their school          

Since I go to a smaller college, visiting BC was definitely nerve-racking at first. Getting to the train station, taking the subway by myself, and finding my way through Boston seemed like a huge task, but after doing it a few times, I had it down. It showed me I can be independent and navigate the city, which I thought I was NOT capable of. These days I miss the chaotic energy of the Green Line, my podcast playing in my headphones, and the chill fall air of Cleveland Circle. The journey was a nice break from homework and gave me a few hours to relax. Stepping onto BC campus feels like visiting a friend you only see a few times a year, you pick up right where you left off. I know my way around (for the most part) and have learned to love it because he cares about it so much. Experiencing maybe a day or two at a big school is a great way for me to escape my small bubble and it is something I look forward to every semester.

Masked person sitting on subway train car
Photo by Bo Kim from Unsplash

2. Showing them your second home

In addition, one of the best things is getting to show him my campus. At Stonehill, showing off the beautiful sights of Donahue and the Clock Tower, eating Slice of Greek, and giving a tour of my dorm are some highlights throughout the years. Our campuses are so different, so it is really interesting to explore each of them. Introducing him to my friends gives him names to faces about people I have been raving about for months. After Facetiming and texting for weeks, it is really nice for him to try and gain an understanding of what my life is like at college. There is nothing like a Stonehill sunset, performing with your second family on the Hemmingway stage, and Sunday breakfast sandwiches. Little things I appreciate can finally be experienced by my boyfriend, which is awesome (I give him props for sitting through those dance and theatre productions).

Laura Claypool-Postcards Dorm Wall Decor Photos Polaroids
Laura Claypool / Her Campus

3. Making memories

Having double the college experience is such a plus if you are in this type of relationship. I have been so grateful to attend some great events at BC. Standing in the student section at Alumni Stadium, singing “For Boston” and hanging out at the tailgate was a top memory for sure. I have also been to their fall concert, seeing one of my favorite artists, Hunter Hayes, sing on the quad just a few feet in front of me. Stonehill also brings the fun with the Halloween Dance and the Winter Formal with everyone packed into the sports complex, dressed up for the occasion. Events like these are some of our favorite memories together and it gives us some easy date ideas. We have met up in Boston for lunch, gone on drives, or just stayed in to watch a movie. Every visit gets to be something new and exciting. 

people with their hands raised during a concert
Pexels

4. Meeting new people

When visiting BC, I have met some really great, smart, and kind people. I really never thought of the connections that you could make with others through a relationship. All of his friends and coworkers are so welcoming and fun, making it a great environment for when I come to visit. Knowing that he is surrounded by a community like that is definitely comforting. On the other side, my friends at school get along with him great and love when he visits. It is a fun dynamic to have and is a plus when your significant other can hang out and like the people you spend most of your time with. 

Monica and Rachel high-fiving
Giphy
      This may be a cheesy article, but my relationship has been a big part of my time at college. There are a lot of stereotypes constantly telling high schoolers that it is not worth it, or it won’t work if you plan on continuing your relationship through college. A lot of people want to experience a single lifestyle and explore their options. This may be true, everyone is different, but if you care about someone and want to see the outcome, go for it. Looking back, I would have never guessed I would be dating someone in college, let alone someone who doesn’t go to my school. Everything happens for a reason and whether you are in a relationship or not, take the time to figure out what’s best for you in college and make those four years memorable.

Justine Long

Stonehill '22

Hi! My name is Justine Long and I am a junior Mediated Communications major, Journalism minor at Stonehill College! I am from Chelmsford, MA, and love to write, dance, and listen to One Direction and Taylor Swift (of course). I hopefully want to write or edit for a magazine/newspaper after college, which is why I joined Her Campus!