The Perfect Taylor Swift Songs For Your Mood This Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stonehill chapter.

Much like Taylor Swift, Valentine’s day is controversial; many love it and all it stands for, while others simply love to hate it. Whether you’re a casual listener, a die hard fan, or someone who only knows the radio hits, we can all agree that Taylor Swift does love songs—whether they be happy, sad or angry, better than anyone else. With 8 albums spanning 3 genres, and 15 years worth of lessons in love and heartbreak, Taylor manages to perfectly capture the emotions that coincide with every stage of a relationship, the good, the bad, and the ugly. Music that resonates with our current emotional situations tend to have a certain magic to them, as if they were written and tailored just for us. Listening to Taylor Swift’s music, especially her songs that I relate to, often feel like I’m reading a page out of my own diary.

No matter what your Valentine’s Day looks like this year, there’s surely a Taylor Swift song or two to have on repeat all day. If you’re in love, crushing on someone, in a complicated situation, heartbroken, angry, or celebrating a fun galentine’s day with your best friends, I’ve got you covered.

Here are the perfect Taylor Swift songs to listen to if you’re:

In love:

• You Are In Love– 1989. Need I say more? Speaking from personal experience, this song embodies the feeling of falling in love for the first time and the beauty that comes with it.
  • Daylight– Lover. Another song that puts the feeling of being in love, especially the initial feelings, into words perfectly.
  • Paper Rings– Lover. So fun and upbeat. If this song doesn’t make you want to run away and elope with your s/o, I don’t know what will.
  • Invisible String– Folklore. If the saying “everything happens for a reason” were a song.
  • The Lakes– Folklore Deluxe. The Lakes feels like being in a warm cozy cabin with your lover on a snowy day and never wanting to leave.
  • Long Story Short– Evermore. This song makes me feel like I’m in high school again, receiving a message in a bottle from my older self, letting me know that one day I will in fact find someone who loves me they way I deserve to be loved. It will especially resonate if you’ve ever gone from a terrible relationship to finally finding the perfect person for you.

Crushing Hard:

• Fearless– Fearless (duh). This song is the epitome of being 15 and having a crush, and it’s amazing.
  • Enchanted-Speak Now. If you find yourself constantly daydreaming about someone you barely know, you should definitely add this one to your playlist.
  • Treacherous– Red. Perfectly describes the feeling of slowly falling for someone but having absolutely no clue where things will go.
  • Sparks Fly– Speak Now. This song screams “I know he’s not good for me, but I’m gonna go for him anyway”.
  • King of My Heart– Reputation. Great song if you’ve just met someone who makes you wonder where they’ve been hiding all along.
  • Wildest Dreams– 1989. Somehow Wildest Dreams replicates the feeling of vulnerability in the beginning of a relationship and the uncertainty of it all.
  • Ivy– Evermore. Stylistically, Ivy is an amazing song that you should listen to regardless. I’m not entirely sure if it’s about cheating on someone or being a widow, but either way I love the imagery of someone else being “ivy” and “planting roots” in your mind that consume you.
  • Our Song– This is the song for you if you like the sound of a slamming screen door, sneaking out late tapping on his window, when you’re on the phone and he talks real slow, cause it’s late and his mama don’t know.

It’s Complicated

• Cruel Summer– Lover. If you have an unrequited love (or like), this will be your new favorite song. I genuinely believe this bridge could resuscitate me if I was pronounced dead.
  • August-Folklore. My favorite form of free therapy.
  • I Wish You Would-1989. If you’re coming off of a breakup you wish never happened, this one’s for you.
  • The Other Side of the Door– Fearless. The last 30 seconds of this song are what I live for.
  • The Way I Loved You– Fearless. This is the song for you if you’re seeing someone new but you still miss and fantasize about your previous crazy, toxic relationship.

Heartbroken:

• Champagne Problems-Evermore. One of her best bridges to date. This song works especially well if you were the bearer of bad news and had to break someone’s heart while also breaking your own.
  • Last Kiss– Speak Now. Last Kiss is so heartbreaking. Listening to it makes me want to cry despite not being able to relate at all, it’s that good. If you’re in the mood for a good cry, write this one down.
  • Death By A Thousand Cuts-Lover. Fun fact: DBATC was actually inspired by the movie Something Great.
  • Back to December– Speak Now. Another song about being the one to ruin the relationship and being filled with regret.
  • Red– Red (obviously). If you can’t stop thinking about your ex you should not only listen to this song, but the whole album too.
  • Sad Beautiful Tragic-Red. I hardly ever listen to this song because it can be pretty depressing, but if that’s your vibe this Valentine’s day then Sad Beautiful Tragic is perfect for you.

Angry:

• All Too Well-Red. If you choose one song to listen to from this list, make it this one. All Too Well is arguably Taylor’s best song ever written. Rolling Stone even named it “Best Song of The Decade”, and rightfully so. The combination of intense heartbreak and anger, paired with beautiful imagery and lyricism makes it a modern day masterpiece.
  • Dear John-Speak Now. This song will really resonate with you if you’ve ever dated a lying, manipulating, gaslighter (specifically John Mayer).
  • Should’ve Said No– Debut. If you’ve ever been cheated on, this is the song for you.
  • Picture to Burn-Debut. I can’t even begin to explain how cathartic it is to scream-sing this song thinking about the person you hate.

Celebrating Galentine’s Day:

• I Forgot That You Existed– Lover. Singing this song once you’re finally over someone is an unmatched vibe.
  • Blank Space– 1989. Probably her best single ever. If you don’t absolutely jam to this song whenever it comes on, please stay far away from me.
  • You Belong With Me– Fearless. This one seems pretty self explanatory.
  • We Are Never Getting Back Together- Red. I can say from first hand experience that singing this song with your friends after a few drinks is really all you need to have a good night.
  • 22– Red. The ultimate girls night song. Bonus points if it’s your 22nd birthday.
  • Love Story– Fearless. The newly released rerecorded version, of course, because we all hate Scooter Braun.

*Remember, you don’t need a boyfriend or girlfriend to have a fun valentine’s day. Celebrate love for your family, friends, and most importantly, yourself! Happy V-Day everyone!

Hi! I'm a Marketing major and a Graphic Design minor with a passion for writing and creating. I love all things health, wellness, music (especially Taylor Swift), and travel related!