mario calvo S mEIfXRzIk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
mario calvo S mEIfXRzIk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

“My Life is Worth Living” -Frank Stephens

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stonehill chapter.

The other day as I was scrolling through Instagram, I came across a video out of the ordinary. I usually watch funny short videos to make me laugh but this was a serious video containing a deep message.

Frank Stephens, a man with down syndrome got the opportunity to talk on Capitol Hill. His speech is incredible and even though it is from 2017 the message is still relevant today. Whether that be people bullying others with disorders like down syndrome or parents deciding to not have a child because they tested positive for down syndrome. Sadly, pregnancies being terminated because prenatal screenings identified down syndrome in the womb is more common than one would think.

Stephens had quite the argument to this. He says in his speech, “My life is worth living!” He goes on to ask, “Is there really no place for us in the world?”

Although I do not know anyone personally with down syndrome, I thought this speech was very interesting. I wanted to share his speech with others so maybe we can become more aware and educate ourselves on disorders like down syndrome and the effects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQJEoRhkapw

Kelly Lewis

Stonehill '22

Kelly Lewis is a campus correspondent for the Stonehill Chapter. She is a senior at Stonehill College studying Communication and Journalism. She is from Portsmouth, RI. Kelly's hobbies include writing, working out, watching Disney movies, baking, and attempting DIY projects from Pinterest. One of Kelly's favorite activities is going to the beach with her friends. In the future, Kelly hopes to travel and blog her experiences!