This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stonehill chapter.

A few weekends ago, I had a very interesting experience. My mother is very fascinated with spirituality and is always wondering what really happens when someone passes on here in the physical world. She is a big believer in mediums and psychics and the idea that they can talk to the departed, tell someone about their lives, their futures etc. and in my older teenage years, I have found myself becoming more and more interested in these same ideas. 

The weekend I would like to share with you is this: my house, a Saturday, around two pm. I’m sitting at my kitchen table with a psychic (no, she wasn’t just some random lady that my mom found on the side of the street, she’s a friend of my mothers) and she is giving me a reading. She’s telling me about my future career, my relationship with my parents, when she then looks at me and tells me: You are not a human being having a spiritual experience, but rather you are a spiritual being having a human experience. And throughout the rest of that reading, that one sentence is what stuck with me the most. 

Being told this, combined with a few other things she mentioned about reincarnation and such really got me thinking. This later led to my mom and I discussing what it means to die, what happens when one passes on, and we came to this conclusion: death should not be seen as a goodbye, but rather as a see you later. Now if you’re thinking I’m crazy right about now, at least let me explain before you stop reading. Death is when the soul leaves the physical body right? The heart stops beating, the person stops breathing, that body will never carry life in it again. However, the soul, the essence of who that person was, is still very much alive, it is just no longer confined to the physical body any longer. It lives on somewhere else. 

It is from this belief that we get the idea that our loved ones are watching down on us, protecting us, guiding us. As someone I recently met said, it’s only a veil between us and them. I like to think of it almost like a two-way mirror. We can only see ourselves, but the people on the other side can see both us and themselves.

When you look at death this way, it doesn’t seem so final. You know that eventually, you too, will be on the other side of the mirror, or the veil, with all of your loved ones. This perspective also makes death seem less scary and sad. Of course, when someone you love or care about passes away it’s hard to know that you won’t be seeing them anymore, but it’s not for forever, only for a short while. 

The day after the physic came to my house I encountered a lady who was introduced to me by my godmother, and I found that she viewed death in this new way that I was thinking about. I was fascinated by the coincidence, but overall found her to be an amazingly interesting woman. We met her at the hospital, where we were visiting a mutual close friend, and she was so calm and collected compared to the other people in the room, because she knew that even though it was coming to the end of this friend’s life here in the physical world, she would get to talk and be with her again. It was truly an incredible thing to watch, and I don’t think I’ve ever witnessed someone looking so at peace knowing that their friend was about to pass on.  

I think this view on death could be very beneficial when dealing with the lose of a loved one, as it’s more like the person is going on a long journey, and that you yourself will join them one that same journey when it’s your time to do so. Losing a loved one can be extremely difficult, but it’s only a matter of time before you will be reunited forever. 

Emma Cianciulli

Stonehill '22

Emma is a senior at Stonehill College, where she is majoring in English. When she isn't at school, Emma enjoys thrift shopping, reading a good book, spending time with her horse, and hanging out with friends. She lives in New Hampshire with her mom and two cats. Her dream job is to be an editor for a fashion magazine.