This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stonehill chapter.

Let the internship stress begin! As a junior, I have actively been looking for internships for next summer. I am a finance major so the internship recruiting process starts as early as the summer of sophomore year, so I first began applying for next summer this past August. I had scored an internship for last summer but unfortunately, it was canceled right before it began due to COVID. Already, I have been rejected from at least half a dozen internships for next summer, not one of them even expressing why I would not be a good candidate, and it makes it even more stressful not knowing what you can improve on for future applications or interviews. Here are some tips to help alleviate the hardships of the internship application process.

1. Do not give up – It is so easy to get down on yourself when rejected, but you have to remember everything happens for a reason and there are better opportunities out there for you! Even though I have yet to secure an internship for next summer, I believe the best is yet to come and you just got to have the mindset that with every rejection, you’re one step closer to success where you belong.
  2. Keep applying – I have applied to countless internships through company websites, Handshake (a great resource that all Stonehill students have access to), and internship postings on LinkedIn and Google. Even if you don’t hear back from some, it is important to keep your options open!
  3. LinkedIn – Update your LinkedIn profile, or if you don’t have one, make one! Most professors in the business department emphasize the importance of making an account, but even if you’re not a business major, you should still make one ASAP!
  4. Research – If you get an interview, make sure you study the job description for the position you applied to, the company, and know your resume like the back of your hand. Try not to overthink it too much and take a deep breath! Really try to sell yourself as to why you would make a great candidate and what sets you apart from the other applicants.
  5. Don’t compare yourself to others – With many finance and accounting majors starting to finalize their internship opportunities for next summer, it is crucial to not compare yourself to others who are at different stages in the process or get internships at popular companies. It can be intimidating with people getting accepted by well-known companies with competitive internships, or by people who are ahead of you in the process. Just focus on yourself, where you’re at, and where you want to go.
  6. Network – Get in touch with people you may already know about internship opportunities at their company if they are in a similar position you’re interested in or a particular industry. If you don’t know anyone, go to a career fair or a club meeting that duals as a networking event and express your interest to them, and follow up with an email after. Joining clubs is also a great resume builder and provides you with tools for success. 

Good luck, you got this!

I'm Julia and I am from Chelmsford, MA! I am a senior at Stonehill College where I major in finance, minor in economics and entrepreneurship, and am a member of the women's lacrosse team. I enjoy skiing, hiking, music, and hanging out with my friends and family. I also love boats, food, and straight-up having a good time.