This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stonehill chapter.

Have you heard all the controversy about the new Netflix show “Insatiable”? Well, I certainly have and it made me curious. So I decided to see for myself. How bad could it really be?

Bad.

Very bad.

I went in completely unbiased. In fact I had just eaten some pizza so you could even argue I was in a good mood (because who isn’t happy after eating some yummy pizza?!) Anyway, I had just clicked play and the opening line came over my laptop’s speakers; “I’ve heard stories of girls who grow up happy, and well adjusted with a healthy relationship to food and their bodies…screw those b*tches.” and let me tell you I think my jaw literally hit the floor.

There are so many things wrong with this. First off, what about women fighting for women? We are supposed to be sticking up for each other, not putting each other down because some people are thinner or larger than others! We are all uniquely beautiful, and that is something we should be embracing! Take away the fact that the line is basically body shaming teenage girls, but it’s also calling girls b*tches simply because of how they look! No one knows other people’s struggles. There are diseases or conditions where putting on weight can be hard! The young teenage girls that this show is targeting could be going through a number of difficulties, or simply just feel insecure about themselves, which is totally common for teenagers and young women. They don’t need some show making them feel worse!

It was extremely hard for me to sit through one full episode of “Insatiable”, and I refuse to watch any more of it. Not only does it make inappropriate and judging comments about body size, but it also makes a joke about child molestation. And this is only in one episode! The main character, Patty, is talking to her best friend about an older man who Patty is attracted to. Patty’s best friend’s reaction to her new crush is to exclaim “He’s a child molester!” to which Patty replies “Which means I might actually have a shot.” So not okay.

Between the constant negative remarks about body shapes, sexual innuendos, and girls turning on girls to make each other feel bad about themselves, and the rather poor acting (which is the least of our worries), this show is downright cruel. Maybe it gets better as the season progresses…but I seriously doubt it. 

Emma Cianciulli

Stonehill '22

Emma is a senior at Stonehill College, where she is majoring in English. When she isn't at school, Emma enjoys thrift shopping, reading a good book, spending time with her horse, and hanging out with friends. She lives in New Hampshire with her mom and two cats. Her dream job is to be an editor for a fashion magazine.
Marissa Bazzano

Stonehill '20

Student at Stonehill College from Hartford Connecticut.