A Future Inclusion of the Hot Dog Emoji?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stonehill chapter.

Do any of you ever wonder who in the world creates and approves all emojis? When I picture the “emoji council” I feel like it consists of a whole courtroom of people from all over the world debating on the pros and cons of each icon. While new updates have brought along new faces and flags, there is still a lack of emojis in other categories.

As I scroll past the faces and nature sections of emojis I land in the food and drink section. Obviously, it would be impossible and a bit impractical to add every food in this section so I understand that the emoji council had to hit the big food groups. We have the burger, pizza, rice, spaghetti, lollipop and assortment of fruits, among other necessary foods, but I ask myself the same question every time I browse through the food groups. Where is the hot dog? Being one of the oldest and well-known staples of the American food group, the hot dog has been ignored by the Emoji Council since the beginning of smart phone history. Why would someone want to use the hamburger emoji without its trusted match, the hot dog?

After some extensive research, I found that I am among many smart phone users who strongly believe the emoji library is not complete until the hot dog is unveiled. Not only do some people petition for the hot dog emoji, but they have also begun to boycott the use of emojis all together. A very serious American holiday that comes around every year on July 23rd, National Hot Dog day is not as celebrated as it once was, because of the bitter and saddened frank fans that struggle celebrating without proper emoji characters.

As a hot-dog enthusiast myself, I plan to vote for the hot dog emoji to make an appearance when the next update comes around. If you or someone you know feel strongly about the addition of America’s favorite food, please take a look online and find out how to vote for the hot dog emoji. Think about what positive outcomes it could have on the cyber world and the future of the infamous hot dog.