This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stonehill chapter.

Lifestyle influencer, Nabela Noor, uses her TikTok platform as a mental health initiative that preaches the importance of self-care and self-love. Nabela is a first-generation Bangladeshi-American creator who became popular on TikTok for her #PocketsOfPeace series during the pandemic that celebrates “simple moments of goodness of each day.” With over 10 million followers across different platforms (TikTok, Instagram, and Youtube), and over 1.5 billion views, she has made a lasting impression on viewers worldwide.

Nabela’s aesthetically peaceful videos have made me reflect on my daily routines, and how I can implement pockets of peace into my own life. Nabela’s videos often show her cleaning her living space, baking, doing skincare, and more. After watching her videos, I found myself reflecting on my own life and discovering what my “pockets of peace” are. 

The working definition I have created for “pockets of peace” is: taking a regular, mundane part of your life and romanticizing it to bring you inner calmness and relaxation;  it is finding your happy place amidst moments of chaos and uncertainty.  

What comes to mind when you think of “pockets of peace”?  For me, it’s listening to my favorite songs on the way to class. It’s treating myself to a vanilla chai latte from Dunkin every few days.  It’s taking that extra-long, hot shower at night and using all my fancy soaps and lotions. It’s opening the window in my dorm room and filling my space with fresh air.  It’s all the small things I do each day that bring me sanity and joy.  

I encourage you to examine your current routines and discover your own “pockets of peace.” If you can’t find any, try and create some moments of serenity in your daily life that you can look forward to!

Megan Swezey

Stonehill '24

Meg is currently a senior at Stonehill College in Easton, Massachusetts. Aside from writing, she has equal obsessions with dancing, hiking, sushi, jean jackets, Spotify playlists, and her two cute pups. Peace out!