This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stonehill chapter.

So as many of you know, a few nights ago were the 65th Primetime Emmy Awards. Whether you loved or hated them, here are my favorite moments of the night:

1. The Intro

In terms of grading, the intro deserves an A+. I loved it so much that I contemplated writing a whole article just on it, but decided against it.  You knew it was going to be funny when Jimmy Kimmel interrupted Neil Patrick Harris in his opening monologue.  From then on we had the wonderful pleasure of seeing Jane Lynch, Jimmy Fallon, and Conan O’Brian on stage at once. One of the best lines from Conan had to be, “Those were the days I tell you! Back then a host was a God, now look at us a bunch of amateurs trying to get a selfie with the guys from Duck Dynasty.” A little disclaimer: I may be biased in terms of my love for the intro due to Kevin Spacey’s involvement.  If you have yet to check out Netflix’s original series House of Cards you may not have understood this joke, but I give the shows writers credit in adding it in. Now for the most important part of the night, Tina Fey and Amy Pohler did their typical thing of make us die of laughter. Heckling Harris about “twerking” while wearing 3D glasses and eating popcorn was genius. When they stumbled/crawled up the stage to present an award, it was the perfect way to start the show.

1. The acceptance speeches

So “acceptance speeches” might be a broad topic because I am only talking about two in particular. The first one is Merritt Weaver’s award for the show, “Nurse Jackie”.  Her speech went like this, “Thanks so much, um thank you so much, I gotta go bye” and walked off the stage.  This speech was so perfect because you could tell how surprised she was that she won and actually didn’t know what to say. The second best speech was when Julia Louis-Dreyfus won for her role in “VEEP”. This was my favorite speech because when she went up to accept her award, her costar Tony Hale went along with her and the two of them did it in character.  If you’ve never seen “VEEP” you may have been confused by what was going on, but for those of us who have seen the show thought it was perfect.

1. In Memoriam Segments

This year we lost many big names in the entertainment world, and while the “In Memoriam” segment is usually a montage of everyone we have lost this past year, this year was a little different. Neil Patrick Harris came up with the concept of having other actors talk about people we have lost this year. It was very touchy and I think giving this people more than just a five-minute video was very respectful, and good way for fans to say goodbye to people we lost too soon.

So what did you all think of the Emmys? 

Sources:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/race/emmys-a-telecast-dominated-by-634286

Meg Lewis

Stonehill

Meg Lewis is a senior at Stonehill College in Easton, MA. She is a Communication major and Journalism minor who hopes to one day be in the Public Relations field. She is as fashion obsessed as it gets, loves to style her friends, read the New York Times Style section on Thursdays and Sundays, and blog in her personal fashion site. Aside from fashion, her interets vary from perfecting the cream-to-coffee ratio in her morning cup of joe, YouTube videos of babies laughing, John Stewart, 90's Saturday Night Live, and unabashedly and continuously dominating her friends' social media feeds.