This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stonehill chapter.

Staying hydrated is key to a healthy lifestyle. There are so many benefits to drinking water that many people are unaware of. Our bodies are made up of nearly sixty percent water so it is very important to replenish for us to consistently perform at our best.

Did you know your brain is made of 73% of water? You can lose so much water throughout the day through perspiration and using energy, which causes your brain to be foggy and less focused. Drinking more water will allow your brain to work more efficiently, leaving you more alert and ready to tackle the tasks you have throughout your day. With your energy levels increased, your metabolism will also be working faster and can break down fats more easily. Water also aids in your body’s digestion. A strong digestive system allows certain nutrients and minerals to be more accessible, improving your general health.

Tips for Staying Hydrated

• Easy Access

If you’re trying to stay hydrated a really easy way to do so is to always have a water bottle with you. You are more inclined to drink water if it is right next to you rather than having to get up for a cup or to use the water fountain.

• Eat Up

Water isn’t only accessible in its liquid form. It’s important to remember that many foods also contain a high amount of water. Most fruits and vegetables are naturally rich in water, so here’s another opportunity for you to eat a healthy diet – not only will you be fueling your body with the right food groups, you will be adding to your water intake!

• Add Some Fun

If you’re bored of drinking plain water, add something special to it to make it easier to drink! You can add slices of fruit to give it a sweeter taste. Suggestions include oranges, lemons, and strawberries. If you would rather not cut up slices of fruit, you can also add unsweetened flavor packets to your bottle. 

Regardless of how you drink your water, make sure to remember to do so! It is such a vital part of your day and will boost your energy to allow you to be more efficient and stay focus enough to make better decisions. Have fun with how you drink water and keep sipping!

Trish Yule

Stonehill '22

Student athlete at Stonehill College
Marissa Bazzano

Stonehill '20

Student at Stonehill College from Hartford Connecticut.