This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stonehill chapter.

Fun fact: I’m a huge Disney fan, but my friends and family already know that because I talk about it all the time. I would visit Disney World every year if I had the time, money, and means, but sadly, I don’t. I grew up watching Disney channel 24/7 and all the original Disney movies. I never grew out of that phase, as a 22-year-old college student I continue to watch old and new Disney films in my spare time because it brings me joy and there is always an important underlying theme that resonates with me.

Anyways, I wanted to write a quick movie review/reaction for the live-action film Cruella! I know I’m late to the party because it was released a few months ago, but I’m on the bandwagon now.

My mom and I have occasional gal movie nights where we rent a movie on Redbox or find something on Netflix and then fall asleep halfway through haha! This past weekend, while browsing for movies on Redbox I found Cruella and decided to rent it. We weren’t able to watch it the first night as we had planned but we held on to the DVD and watched it the next day and let me tell you it was worth it!

Recently, Disney has transformed many of their old, animated movies from the 90s and early 2000s into live-action films. And I love when they announce a new adaption, but I missed the announcement of Cruella. I’ve seen the live-action versions of the Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Mulan, and Aladdin. Up until viewing Cruella, Aladdin had been my favorite Disney animated film brought to real life because of the actors/actresses, music, and film effects. Unlike, some of the previous revamped Disney movies, the plot in Cruella is nothing like the original animation produced in 1961: One Hundred and One Dalmatians. Surprisingly, dalmatians and dogs didn’t play a major role in this movie, but they are still included and when they are the scenes are extremely cute!

I never thought I would like a Disney villain-centered movie so much, but I do! Director Craig Gillespie reveals the likable sides of Cruella, who use to be known as Estella. And Emma Stone nails her role perfectly.

The movie is centered on Estella, a young and smart girl who dreams to become a fashion designer until her mom dies and she becomes an orphan living with her two best friends: Jasper and Horace in London. Horace is my second favorite character in the movie and adds a lot of humor to the storyline. My mom and I laughed at almost all of the scenes he appeared in.

The three friends live a simple life and make a living by pickpocketing people in the city. Eventually, Jasper steals a job offer and lands Estella a job at a famous fashion designers’ store, known as the Baroness. However, her duties are not so glamorous, so she ends up ruining her opportunity by revamping the window display model. The Baroness happened to visit the store the next day and liked the display, so she gave her a job. Estella quickly becomes the Baroness’s go-to designer. Eventually, Estella discovers a secret and things take a turn for the worst. I will just say that Estella lives a double life in the movie, switching between Estella, a nice, sweet, hardworking fashion assistant to Cruella, a loud, rude, and mean villain.

I don’t want to give away too many details or any spoilers because I want you to go watch it for yourself. I will say there are quite a few twists and turns in the plot that neither my mom nor I suspected. Also, the ending comes full circle, which I prefer, I hate when movies end on a cliffhanger. So, you will feel satisfied after watching the movie. I highly recommend adding this movie to your “watch next” list. It’s a perfect time, as the weather is getting colder and there isn’t much to do. One more thing I will say is that, although a Disney-produced film, don’t let that stop you from watching it. The film is chaotic, exciting, and dark! Disney fan or not: Cruella is a must-watch!

Check out the trailer!
Kelly Lewis

Stonehill '22

Kelly Lewis is a campus correspondent for the Stonehill Chapter. She is a senior at Stonehill College studying Communication and Journalism. She is from Portsmouth, RI. Kelly's hobbies include writing, working out, watching Disney movies, baking, and attempting DIY projects from Pinterest. One of Kelly's favorite activities is going to the beach with her friends. In the future, Kelly hopes to travel and blog her experiences!