Celebrating Women’s History Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stonehill chapter.

Happy Women’s History Month! The month of March is Women’s History Month in the United States. This month is all about celebrating women’s accomplishments and contributions to U.S. historical events and contemporary society. This gives women a voice and representation when they have often been written out of history. The month of March has been Women’s History Month since 1987. 

For more background information and the history of Women’s History Month, check out this informational website: 

https://www.history.com/topics/holidays/womens-history-month

During this month, it is important we recognize and remember important female figures who have made their mark on history and who have progressed women’s rights and representation. 

Important Figures 

1. Ruth Bader Ginsburg (1933-2020) 

An American lawyer turned Supreme Court justice who stood against sexism and valued women’s rights. 

1. Rosa Parks (1913-2005) 

A Civil Rights leader and activist who is known for her role in the Montgomery Bus Boycott. She fought against racial and gender discrimination in the United States throughout her career and life. 

1. Serena Williams (1981-Present Day) 

A (now retired) professional female tennis player who is believed to be one of the greatest tennis players of all time. She faced sexism and racism by playing tennis. Her strength and dedication to the sport of tennis stands as an inspiration for female athletes. 

1. Ava Duvernay (1972-Present Day) 

An American filmmaker who explores the experiences of African Americans, racial inequalities of mass incarceration, and much more. She has won many awards for her films and tv shows. 

1. Michelle Obama (1964-Present Day)

The former First Lady of the United states who was the first African American woman to have this role. She is married to President Barack Obama. Her activism and books show her support towards women’s rights, educational opportunities for women, and a focus on women’s health. 

1. Malala Yousafzai (1997-Present-Day)

A Pakistani female education activist who won the 2014 Nobel Peace Prize when she was just 17-years-old. She is the youngest recipient of the award. The Taliban Movement took control and burned down the schools in her city in 2008. She began to advocate for women’s educational opportunities, and she was shot in the head in 2012 by a Taliban gunman due to her active resistance. She was in a coma for 10 days before waking up. Her novel and documentary show her bravery and courage towards fighting for women’s rights. 

1. Kamala Harris (1964-Present Day)

The current Vice President of the United States under the Joe Biden administration who is the first ever female Vice President of the United States. She also served as the attorney general of California from 2011-2017, and she was a U.S. Senator of California from 2017-2021. She is very vocal against the reversal of Roe v. Wade, and she supports women’s reproductive rights. She continues to advocate for women’s rights in her term as Vice President. 

1. Maya Angelou (1928-2014)

An American memoirist, poet, and Civil Rights activist. Her writing passionately defended the rights of women and voiced the opinions of the younger generations. Her work helped progress the Civil Rights Movement, gender inequality, and racial inequality. 

1. Harriet Tubman (1822-1913)

An American abolitionist and social activist who made about 13 missions and helped about 70 enslaved African Americans escape slavery by using the Underground Railroad, which consisted of anti-slavery allies and safe houses along the route. She was also an activist for the Women’s Suffrage Movement. 

1.  Quinta Brunson (1989-Present Day)

An American writer, actor, producer, and writer who is best known for starring, producing, and acting in ABC’s comedy, Abbott Elementary. The diversity on and off the screen gives opportunities for African Americans and women in the entertainment business. She credits the diversity of the series to her all female-led writers’ room. Her show explores the lack of funding towards low-income, African American public schools, the complexity of teaching, and the United State’s education system overall. 

For more information on some of these women and many others who have impacted the world, check out the Biographies on the National Women’s History Museum website! This website also has many resources about Women’s History and the museum’s programs/exhibitions they offer in Washington, D.C. 

https://www.womenshistory.org/students-and-educators/biographies

Accounts to Follow

These are also some instagram accounts you can follow that celebrate women’s empowerment and amplify female voices. 

1. Feminist (@feminist)
  2. Women from History (@womenfromhistory)
  3. Maker’s Woman (@makerswomen)
  4. Girl Boss (@girlboss)
  5. UN Women – United Nations’ agency for gender equality and women’s empowerment (@unwomen)

Resource for other accounts to follow: https://www.ellecanada.com/culture/society/15-female-empowering-instagram-accounts-to-follow 

Things to Do to Celebrate Women’s History Month

1. Watch a documentary, read a book, or listen to a podcast about the history of women’s rights. 
  2. Watch Ted Talks by women leaders.
  3. Learn more about the history of women’s health. 
  4. Support women-owned businesses.
  5. Donate to organizations that support women and girls, such as organizations like health clinics and education programs.
  6. Stay informed on the implications of the reversal of Roe v. Wade and how it continues to affect women today.
  7. Create awareness in the pay-gap between men and women in the workforce. 
  8. Converse with others about the importance of women’s education and involvement in the STEM fields. 
  9. Follow and uplift the voices of diverse women who are content and artistic creators. 
  10.  Participate or support women’s rights marches / protests in your local areas. 

Here is a link to an article that describes local events or things you can do around the Boston area to celebrate Women’s History month:

https://bostonuncovered.com/womens-history-month-in-boston/

Take the time this month to reflect and celebrate how far women have come, and how much farther we have to go. 

Marisa Silk

Stonehill '24

Marisa Silk is a senior at Stonehill College studying English and Secondary Education. Marisa is the Stonehill Her Campus Chapter's Senior Editor. Marisa is from Norwood, MA. Her interests include reading, writing, watching tv, and listening to Taylor Swift. After college, Marisa wants to be a high school English teacher, while also writing professionally. Marisa hopes to share her love of reading, writing, television, and experiences with the rest of Her Campus readers.