This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stonehill chapter.

Wanting to read more in the new year but don’t know where to begin?  I’ve got you covered!  Here are some book recommendations based on the t.v. shows you’ve been binging.

1. If you watched The Haunting of Bly Manner, read The Housemaid by Freida McFadden

Both of these stories feature live-in nanny protagonists who work for families who just seem off. As the plot unfolds, you learn the dark secrets of each family’s past and connect the dots to mysterious events that occur.  Will the new nannies be able to escape before it’s too late?

1. If you watched The Good Place, read They Both Die at the End by Adam Silvera

Both of these works have a very unique take on death that makes you appreciate life so much more.  Similar to The Good Place, They Both Die at the End has the perfect amount of romance tied into a heartwarming story.

1. If you watched Outer Banks, read We Were Liars by E. Lockhart

Both Outer Banks and We Were Liars delve into the intricacies of youth, adventure, and secrets. Both works follow a group of teenagers during their coastal summers as they uncover buried truths of the characters’ pasts.

1. If you watched Harry and Meghan, read Spare by Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex

Loved hearing about the recent royal family drama first-hand from Prince Harry?  Want to learn more? Spare digs deep into Harry’s childhood growing up as royalty and the effects it still has on his life today. This memoir dives deeper into topics the docuseries only skimmed the surface of.

1. If you watched Emily in Paris, read Beach Read by Emily Henry

Beach Read invites readers to immerse themselves in a heartfelt journey filled with unexpected twists and heartfelt moments, making it a perfect companion for fans of romantic dramas like Emily in Paris.  Both works feature strong female leads learning the ropes and finding love in a new environment.

1. If you watch All The Light We Cannot See, read The Book of Lost Names by Kristen Harmel

If you love a WWII historical fiction like me, there is nothing not to love about The Book of Lost Names. Similar to All The Light We Cannot See (which is also an amazing book you should read), this novel follows an unsung hero of WWII who risks it all to save others in a unique way.  This is truly a heart-warming read.

1. If you watched Cheer, read Carrie Soto is Back by Taylor Jenkins Reid

While one is about cheerleading and the other one is about tennis, both of these works uncover the immense pressure and demands of wanting to be the best in your sport.  I highly recommend it to any athletes or anyone who needs some motivation in any aspects of life.

Megan Swezey

Stonehill '24

Meg is currently a senior at Stonehill College in Easton, Massachusetts. Aside from writing, she has equal obsessions with dancing, hiking, sushi, jean jackets, Spotify playlists, and her two cute pups. Peace out!