This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stonehill chapter.

Halloween is one of the best times of the year and marks the onset of the very busy holiday season to come. Here are 5 ways for you to embrace the season and get spooky:

1. Dress up…even if you have nowhere to go! Embrace your inner-child and take this opportunity to be a witch, a zombie, your favorite TV show character, or anything else that allows you to rebrand, even if just for a few hours. With the current pandemic, Halloween parties may not be happening this year, but you can still dress up with the people you live with, or host a dress-up Zoom call where everyone shows off their awesome costumes!
  2. Watch ALL the movies. I’m talking the Halloweentown series, Twitches (1+2), It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown, and of course the queen of all Halloween movies: Hocus Pocus. These are just a handful of examples, make a point to watch a fun movie you’ve never seen before or just stick to your favorites. Either way, make sure yummy snacks are involved.
  3. Trick or TREAT yourself! Who says candy is just for kids? Take a trip to Target or your local grocery store and pick out your favorite Halloween candy. That would be Kit Kat’s for me. Let yourself indulge in the sweet memories of those long nights spent trick or treating and collecting pounds of goodies.
  4. Decorate!! This could include lights, cobwebs, motion activated ghosts, whatever you want! Now is the time to go all out and turn your living space into a shot straight out of Disney’s Haunted Mansion. 
  5. Paint or carve a pumpkin! October=pumpkin everything. Go back to the basics and look for pumpkin patches or head to a grocery store or pharmacy that you know sells pumpkins. Find your favorite and go all out using acrylic paint to create a cool design or carefully carve out a face or picture for a jack-o-lantern! Here’s a tip for carving: stencil what you want to create on your pumpkin with a Sharpie or pen first. This will make things easier once it comes time to carve! 

​I hope this gives you an idea of how to enjoy yourself this Halloween, despite the fact that it will look different this year. Stay safe and stay spooky!!

Her Campus Media

Emma MacIntyre

Stonehill '22

I am a senior studying English, Spanish, and creative writing. Besides writing, I love baking, exploring the outdoors, and spending time with my dog and my friends and family.