This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stonehill chapter.

Have some time to relax and wondering what to watch? Here are some must see Netflix documentaries that will allow you to have some down time while also learning something new!

1. Fyre

Interested in musical festivals and want to learn how what was supposedly going to be the greatest party on Pablo Escobars private island took a turn for the worst? If so, then this documentary is for you! Learn all about Billy McFarland and how he promised a wild festival of supermodels and yachts but instead created a disaster filled with Fraud and an over-crowded island. You will be shocked at how something advertised to be so amazing could go so wrong so fast.

2. Ted Bundy Tapes

Want to take a trip into the mind of Ted Bundy and find out the underlying truths of this man’s crime?  Within this documentary you can listen to live recordings of Ted Bundy and what he was thinking as he took part in these assaults, kidnappings, and murders, while also hearing from witnesses, detectives, and those affected by the hateful actions of Ted Bundy. Definitely recommend for any criminal justice majors as well as anyone who is interested in behind the scene footage of crimes. This documentary definitely will not disappoint you! It is also a series of episodes which makes it even better if you only have a short period of time to relax each day!

3. Gaga: Five Foot two

Many people see Lady Gaga as just another performer, but do you really know what her life is like? This documentary focuses on a year in the life of Gaga, which will definitely surprise you. Not only will you learn about her career and the making of her fifth album and Superbowl performance, but also the mental and physical struggles she deals with in her personal life that got hidden behind her reputation as a musical artist and performer. If you have or had mixed feelings about Gaga before then this documentary is worth watching because I know it changed my views and showed that even some of the best performers deal with similar struggles that we face in our average lives.

4. Avicii True Storys

For those of you who were big Avicii fans and want to learn more about his career and life, take a moment to watch this documentary. This film will give you insights on the most positive aspects of his life, from his time as a Swedish teenager to becoming a music artist and record producer. Not only that, but this documentary also follows some of his worst moments and health scares that we have heard small pieces of in the news and on social media. If you want to get to know more about Avicii, this documentary is definitely for you.

5. BlackFish

Are you obsessed with animals or more specifically orca whales? If so, then Blackfish is the documentary for you! This film will walk you through the life of Tilikum, an orca whale held captive by Seaworld and will express some of the controversy discussed about the ethics of holding killer whale’s captive. I do want to warn you however, that for those of you who are huge orca or animal lovers, this can be pretty sad to watch. Orca whales are some pretty big animals and to be held in an amusement park water tank like the ones at Seaworld can have some pretty serious downfalls on their lives.

If none of these films spark your interest, Netflix has plenty more educational and interesting documentaries that might be more for you! Hope you enjoy:) 

Nicole Geraghty

Stonehill '20

Health science major at Stonehill College from Bridgewater, MA